Chapter 23

The familiar glow of Wanda's power whirled around the small handful of remaining agents, drawing them upwards and slamming them down at once. Nat quickly swooped in as another agent came charging towards Wanda.

"You're not hurt, are you?" Bucky questioned. Y/n couldn't depict if the lowness of his voice was one of anger, or plain concern.

"I'm alright." Was all she said.

It didn't take long for Bucky to notice the slight limp in her leg. She shook her head at him dismissively, before throwing herself back into the fight.

It didn't take long for Steve to slip past her, with a longly awaited lecture. "Is this what having things handled looks like?" He said as he wrangled an agent. He tossed her an earpiece which she quickly placed in her ear.

"Pretty much." She replied, clutching onto the files for her own reassurance. "You didn't have to come."

She could see Nat rolling her eyes from the corner of her vision. "You knew we would."

"I can't stop your paranoia." Y/n huffed, throwing an agent into a nearby tree.

"Let's just get outta here already." Bucky grumbled from a few feet away. "What's the point in staying here for any longer than we need to."

"Might as well finish what we started." Sam's voice suddenly appeared in their earpieces. "Let's take these guys out and finish this."

"It's no good." Y/n shook her head and blew out a sigh. "There's four HYDRA bases still operating around the world. HYDRA won't fall unless we get rid of whoever's running it."

"Four?" Steve exclaimed.

"As far as I know. I found a whole map of their locations in the base. We're gonna have to knock them off one by one until we find the bastard leading them." Y/n told everyone.

Her eyes flicked towards the General from earlier, who was cowering behind one of the parked trucks that Wanda hadn't yet flipped over during the commotion. He was crouched down, watching idly as his men were being thrashed around by the Avengers.

Bucky finished off one of the agents, only to notice Y/n's attention on the man. He furrowed his brows questioningly when she made a beeline for him.

"General."

The General whipped around and fell onto his back pathetically as Y/n appeared behind him.

"I-It's you." He spluttered, crawling backwards and hitting the wall of the building.

"Who's in charge of the new HYDRA?" She nearly cut him off, her patience tipping off edge as the throbbing of her leg pulsed painfully.

"I don't answer to assets." He spat, his eyes widening as Bucky soon joined her side.

"Or two assets." His mouth curved to an malicious grin. "If only you had arrived two minutes later; I'd have my hands on those words and the two of you back in HYDRA's grasp."

In an instant, the collar of the man's jacket was balled up in Bucky's metal fist. He lifted him off the ground and drove him harshly into the stone wall. "You're gonna answer her damn question. Who's leading you?" Bucky said through gritted teeth.

It had been a while since Y/n had seen Bucky flip like this. Not even when Sam had eaten Bucky's leftover mac n' cheese.

Even so, she admired how he always managed to keep himself calm and collected, never allowing his voice to raise louder than its natural mellow tone.

"And what would I gain from leaking that information, Soldier?" He smirked dryly, swallowing a lump in his throat as Y/n stepped closer to him threateningly. "HYDRA will make its return, and the world is sure to be at our mercy."