ɪ ᴡɪʟʟ ɴᴏᴛ ᴋɪss ʏᴏᴜ

hi everyone! MAJOR TW before we start. this is for sexual assault. it is not too detailed and nothing to crazy (warning: for anyone who wants to know, it is just a kiss without consent from rue, as well as i'm not sure what to call it but clara undermining rue? please just watch out!) thank you so much for reading
and enjoy! <3

———

1978 — TWO WEEKS BEFORE THE START OF CAMP

Rue often wished her life was a book. One of the classics, like Cinderella and Ariel. A fairytale, with a happy ending. Snow White and Sleeping Beauty. She wished she was happy princess, with her prince in hand and perfect future set out for her.

She wished she wasn't following her best friend through the mud and tallgrass, being tugged along like a rag doll with no purpose. She could be back at home, listening to music on her crap radio, wishing she was a princess.

"Come on Rue!" Clara shouted, turning back to look at her.

"I don't even wanna do this!" Rue shouted back, crossing her arms over her chest and stopping.

Clara stopped and turned around, waking over to Rue and grabbing her hands.

"Come on! You know I'm moving soon, think of it as your going away present to me!" Rue flinched when Clara reminded her of the girl's inevitable leaving. Rue had chosen to ignore it, and Clara saying it now wasn't exactly helping Rue out it out of her mind.

"Fine," She mumbled, moving away from her to continue walking, wanting to get it over with.

Soon they exited the marsh, and came to a small lake with a dock. The sun was just setting and Clara looked so excited when she noticed it. Rue couldn't help but smile.

"We're not too late!" She turned to Rue, smiling brightly before tugging her to the edge of the dock. They both sat down on the itchy wood, looking towards the sun. Their hands met in the middle, fingers grazing lightly.

"Hey, Rue..." Clara suddenly said, voice low, almost a whisper.

"Yeah?" Rue whispered back, looking to Clara, who was already looking at her.

"I kinda wanna kiss you right now."

"Kiss me?"

"Yeah."

"Oh, Clara... uh, no... I'm sorry-"

Lips on hers. They were wet and warm and... disgusting. They didn't feel right.

"Clara!" Rue managed to push the girl off.

"What?" She scoffed when she saw Rue's expression. "You liked it, don't lie." Was the feeling in Rue's stomach butterflies or disgust? Did she like it? "Kiss me again," Clara murmured and puckered her lips. All Rue could do was stare at her in fear. Rue didn't want to kiss Clara. She didn't like Clara in that way.

"I... I have to go."

"Rue!" Clara called after her as Rue stood up and ran away. "Come back!"

All Rue could do was cry as she ran, bringing a hand up to touch her lips.

———

1978 — JULY 19,
CAMP NIGHTWING

Rue thought camp was boring. Maybe if she was with Clara, like they had planned, Rue would have been more entertained.

But ever since that day on the docks... Rue couldn't find it in herself to confront Clara.