ʟᴏᴠᴇ ᴏғ ᴍʏ ʟɪғᴇ

1994

"That was July 19th, 1978. Five thousand, nine hundred and thirty-seven days ago. My sister was dead... and so was I." Ziggy spoke, looking up from her hands and to the four kids sitting on the ground before them. "And most days, I wished I had stayed dead."

Rue flinched when she heard her wife say that. Was Rue not enough for her? Was she still so unhappy, that she wished she was dead?

"Wait..." The only boy said, catching Ziggy's attention. "Wait, you're Ziggy?" He looked towards Rue. "And you're Rue?" Rue nodded holding up her arm and taking the fake hand off.

She had left that place broken and marred, one hand severed, lost forever. She was a modern-day Sarah Fier.

"No way," The same boy mumbled, turning to the girl the married couple had noticed when she walked in.

"Mai... you got your hand cut off too."

"We can start a club!" She exclaimed, smiling slightly. Rue remembered when she was so optimistic, so happy. Then the day she broke in Ziggy's arms, sobbing, because she was a modern day Sarah Fier. She did get her hand chopped off. And no one had ever found it. "People Who Got Their Hands Chopped off Due to Sarah Fier Club!" Rue smiled, thinking of the club Alice had suggested. It felt wrong being happy, having joy. So Rue quickly shut up, and let Ziggy talk.

"Cindy... my sister... She sacrificed herself for nothing. I told everyone the story of how she died. The story I just told you. And no one believed me."

"And Nick?" One of the girls asked, and Ziggy looked up at her.

"Nick Goode is a monster." She grabbed Rue's arm, tugging her close. "He left Rue in the woods to die, to come save me. Maybe... maybe if he hadn't run off... Rue wouldn't have lost her hand. Maybe she could have gotten it back. But he left the girl I loved alone to die in the woods because he thought I was dead, and that I would love him back."

"How did you survive alone in the woods?" The boy asked, and he reminded Rue of herself. So curious. Being curious had costed Rue her hand. But it had given her a beautiful wife.

"Uh... I'm not sure. Just a miracle I guess." She looked over to Ziggy, who was looking at her and smiling lightly. Like she knew something Rue didn't. And Rue didn't really care what she knew, because she looked so goddamn pretty thinking about it.

Ziggy leaned forward to press a kiss on Rue's cheek, and Rue felt her cheeks warm up. No matter how much time she spent with Ziggy, how many kisses and embraces, all she could remember was the first time. Thinking they were gonna die in a summer camp mess hall, and how much Rue never wanted to lose Ziggy.

"But- we still need to end it!" One of the girls exclaimed, the one in love with Sam.

"The witch... The town curse... For one night, Cindy believed that there was a way to end it. So I thought there was too. But now I know... there is no end." Ziggy looked up from her lap, and Rue noticed the kids staring at them. Tears filled the girls eyes, who had been so adamant upon finding a way to save them.

And alarm went off.

Ziggy got up to shut it off, before continuing her grave speech.

"Like I said, your best chance is to run from this place. Go as far as you can, hope a bus doesn't hit you on the way out." She spoke hard and fast, staring at them. They may not have know it, but as Rue watched the exchange, she knew this was Ziggy's way of caring about them. They all reminded the married couple of their own painful experience, like they were the main act, but these kids, they were the reboot.