10. Wreck My Plans, That's My Man

"You really don't have to go away... I mean-" Thea started as Eddie remained in silence.

"I think it's fair, Thea... I'm gonna spend the last day with Mariam as is our wish, just like Chris with Ellie"

"Well, ok... I understand that, but you guys don't have to leave the house, please" She said with some anxiety, and Jeff and Mike smiled and nodded in silent.

"Ok, but we'll give you some proper space, so we'll be in Naomi's bedroom trying some new rifts because we also want to take some music from this time here" Mike answered while winking at her.

"Well, I'll be out too... but remember coming back before 12 please... remember what Mrs. MacKay said" Naomi added

"Yes... we have to go back in the closet by midnight... how stupid" Chris said, whispering the last line.

"It is very stupid, but this is how rules work, I'm sorry" Naomi answered.

"Don't be, we'll be here on time" Stone answered with a weak smile, to then rush to the door along Chris, later taking separate ways.

It was already New Year's Day, and that meant that was the last day they were going to spend in the present time; obviously all of them were devastated by it, but there was nothing that could be done; Mrs. MacKay had stopped by the house the previous day, only to give them the simple instructions of how to return back in time and the task was pretty simple: with them just returning to Thea's closet along the boardgame and just wait for it to happen.

The guys were skeptical about the way this was suppose to happen, so they took it lightly, but Mrs. MacKay was very clear that if some small mistake happened, they would be punished in some way, and she also warned them not to try to remain in the present time, as it was going to be useless.

With those instructions, that sounded more like an ultimatum, the guys planned quickly their last day in 2021; Chris immediately told Ellie he was going to her place, and Stone did the same with Mariam, who already knew about the time travel situation since the trip to California in November. Naomi was going to spend the day and part of the night with his boyfriend Mark and just like Chris and Stone, he was going to return before midnight.

So, later in the afternoon on that last day they all had lunch together like the big family they became in those months and then some of them left the house while the others remained. Jeff and Mike first went to the backyard and started to write some music, with Bowie always by their side, Eddie and Thea spent some time in her bedroom mostly with him singing her some of the songs he wrote there... they were trying to avoid the end of things at all costs.

When the night fell over the city along with some light snow, Thea and Eddie decided to go downstairs to have a cigarette and some chat in the backyard with the guys, who were already in the kitchen writing some stuff on paper while having a drink and defying the cold weather; not very far from there, Stone and Mariam were cuddling with nostalgia between the warm sheets of her bed, and with his arms wrapped around her waist not caring if it was too obvious, he was scared of losing her.

Then, at the other side of the city, Chris and Ellie were collecting their coats, as it was very cold outside and they needed to arrive in time.

"Are you sure of this, Chris?" Ellie asked with a nervous but happy smile.

"Ellie, I love you... Of course I want to... you want?"

"What a stupid question! You know I want to! Let's go!" Ellie answered, taking his hand and leaving her apartment.

The cold air felt harsh on their fair faces, but they continue walking quickly, always being careful of not trip over the slippery floor; half an hour later, they arrived safely to that beautiful ancient chapel of gothic style, where they had a small and intimate ceremony with a priest, in which both of them exchanged vows and rings, sealing their love and unknowingly also their fate.