Chapter 12

"I wont allow it, you will not leave the castle until everything has calmed down. Eren, you came too close! The Dark King knew about your death and he was ready! Don't you understand that he was ready, to kill you then and there!" Levi yelled.

My head fell as my fists clenched in anger,"I promised our soilders that the Dark King would be slain and that they're families would be avenged. And I plan on keeping that promise." I hissed. Levi's footsteps could be heard coming closer to me, I closed my eyes waiting to be hit or kicked, but nothing came,"Mary looks up to you. Just know, that if you die on her now, the God she once knew and believed in, will mean nothing to her."

"What are you saying?" I asked looking up. He grabbed me by my shirt and said,"In a child's eyes, they would see this as an act of betrayal. She would think God has foresaken her and she would most likely lose all hope. As would I. So, promise me Eren, promise me you won't get yourself killed. Promise me!" I pulled him into my arms, holding him securely,"I promise." I whispered.

His small body nuzzled into my chest, small tears falling onto my shirt,"Tell me....tell me please. I want to protect you." He whispered. I rubbed his back, shaking my head softly,"I wish I could tell you Levi, I wish I could." I felt his fists ball up my shirt as he scowled,"And why can't you? No one's holding you back Eren...no one."

I pulled away and kissed his forehead,"Me, I am. I'm holding myself back. B-"

"Why?!" He snapped. His eyes narrowed with determination to find out the truth,"Becuase...if I tell you, then you wont live your life to the fullest. You'll spend it trying to keep me safe, keep me out of harms way. And how can you live you're life doing that all the time? You can't Levi....you just can't." I whispered.

"But you are my life Eren! You're my world! I would sacrafice anything for you, and if it means my well being then so be it! I would give it up for you!" Levi yelled back. I placed a hand upon his cheek, smiling softly,"But I don't want you to. I want you to live, whether I'm here or not. You have to learn how to let go."

"But I don't want to let you go. I want you to stay with me, for as long as we live. For as long as we can stay together. For as long as time goes on!" He cried. Levi's hands found my shirt as he fell to the floor, his fists balling up my clothing in a fit of sadness,"I want to be with you forever." He whispered. I kneeled down, craddling him in my arms,"As do I with you....my King. But, soon there will come a day when you must take care of Mary...without me. So please, don't dwell on the past whilst I'm gone. Give Mary the life she deserves, let her grow up to be the princess she's always dreamt of being."

He nodded, slowly closing his eyes as he rested,"Sleep well my dear, the wedding is tomorrow." I whispered softly, kissing his forehead. I picked him up, carrying him over to the bed and laying him down to sleep. His fragile body lying limply on the sheets,"I love you." I whispered, walking away.

As I closed the doors of our room, a small giggle was heard from behind. I turned to see Mary, her stary night eyes shimmering as she smiled,"Knight!" She laughed. I smiled and scooped her up into my arms,''Good evening my little darling." I cheered. She squealed in happiness as she clung to my shirt. I began to walk down the hall to her bedroom, her eyes becoming frightful as we got closer,"K-knight...m-may I sleep in your room tonight?" She asked.

I looked down confused and asked,"Why? Aren't you happy with your room?" She nodded softly and said,"I-I'm scared of the monsters outside my window...." I didn't understand what she meant, as we neared her room, I opened the door and placed her onto her bed,"Knight! No, it'll get you!" She screamed. I smiled softly, and moved her curtain to the side, only seeing a gargoyle perched on it's ledge next to her window.

I began to laugh, holding my side as I fell to my knees,"What's so funny?" She asked, her voice confused. I walked over to her bedside, tucking her into her covers and kissing her forehead,"It's just a stone ornament for The King's castle. Its just to decorate it, thats all. Its not a monster. There's nothing to be worried about." I smiled.