𝐅𝐥𝐞𝐞𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐋𝐨𝐯𝐞 || 𝐖𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐚𝐦 𝐕𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐱 𝐑𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐞𝐫

Rating:

Pairing: Fuegoleon x Fem!OP!Captain!ReaderGenre: Romance/Fluff/Tragedy (?) Warning: Violence, people going MIA

Note: William is around 20 when he becomes captain in this one-shot and Y/N is around 23-26, becoming captain sooner than William chronologically, but at an older age.

---

William had admired Y/N. 

Ever since their first mission together, where he saw her talent and skills shine in the heat of battle. He'd never really seen fights as beautiful. He didn't think that anything violent could be beautiful. 

Yet, despite her mineral magic creating crystals that could cut through essentially anything being incredibly dangerous... it was some of the most beautiful magic he'd seen. Befitting of someone as lovely as Y/N L/N. 

Something so sharp and cutting had spared his life more than once and, since then, he'd been mesmerised by her. 

---

"You should pay more attention to what's happening at all sides," she warned him. 

"A-ah... of course, Lady L/N," distracted, breathless - both from the mission and her presence - and flustered he managed to fumble out only a few words. 

"And don't call me that. I'm not even a noble," she added, her voice tinged with bitterness. He never did find out why she resented the idea of being mixed up with nobility so much back then, but he assumed she had received much the same treatment as any commoner in the capital, so it made sense. He wanted to protest and mention that she was technically of a higher rank within her squad than he was in his, but he didn't, as she might have had complaints against that either. 

---

He wasn't this easily flustered any more, being older and captain now - and it wouldn't be terribly dignifying for a captain to be his easily fazed by someone. Yet Y/N still remained as one of the few people who could make his heart beat as fast as it had done back then.

Even in that, being older, Y/N beaten him to the place of captain. For a while, she had been the captain of the Coral Peacocks. At the time, of course, they went by "Crystal Peacocks". 

---

"Congratulations, William, looks like you've made it to the position of captain," a familiar voice exclaimed. 

"Ah... thank you, captain -"

"Now that you're captain you really should stop referring to me as though I'm your superior," she teased in an almost flirty voice, "unless you're into that kind of thing."

He felt his cheeks burning up.

She laughed, patting his shoulder gently a couple times. "I'm kidding." 

"It seems like you might just be the youngest to make captain so far," she added. "Show off." 

"I'm sure someone will break that record in no time," William shrugged it off, looking away, feeling a little bashful. And they would, becoming a captain a whole two years before him, at eighteen. But Y/N never would meet Rill. 

---

"This is going to be a challenging mission. I would have sent all of the Crystal Peacocks instead, but half of them are currently scattered across the kingdom on missions, and therefore I figured that you, William, could take whoever is available from your squad and join forces with Captain Y/N to take care of the problem," Julius had announced on the day of their first joint mission as captains.