» 𝐋𝐨𝐬𝐭 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐌𝐨𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐧 𝐀𝐠𝐞 | 𝐇𝐢𝐜𝐜𝐮𝐩 𝐗 𝐑𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐞𝐫 | 𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝟏 «

It had been a day like any other on Berk. Until the storm came, fiercer and harsher than any that the island had suffered before, rattling the trees and destroying houses. 

Toothless embraced Hiccup in a coil made of his own body, curling up around him as the two looked up to the ceiling of their own house which looked to be falling apart more by the minute. Hiccup could not help but wonder where Valka could be in this weather and had half the mind to go search for her, but he had already gathered every other Viking up in the great hall.

The man had come here to check if his mother was here, and yet... there seemed to be no sign of her. The wooden ceiling seemed to break a little, a chunk of wood falling just beside the duo. 

"Bud, we should go look outside for her - she must be out there somewhere!" he panicked, but his dragon was having none of it. Toothless narrowed his eyes at Hiccup, raising his head to  hold eye-contact better with the Viking, clearly not agreeing with his idea. "Something could happen to her out there," his human companion protested, but as soon as he took a step forward, Toothless' tail shot out, tripping him up. 

Hiccup groaned as he landed flat on his face. "Good to know I have your full support on this," he muttered, before rising back up to his feet. He had to do this. 

Whether or not his friend agreed, this was a matter of Valka's life or death. He could not lose his mother so shortly after he had found her, and even more so after he had just lost his father and a brilliant chief, Stoic. 

Stepping over his reptilian friend, he walked out resolutely, gasping when the wind's power almost threw him right up against his own house. 'By Thor, I didn't thinks storms could get this bad,' he thought looking around for the lost woman and pushing forth regardless. Cloudjumper seemed to be gone too, which did not help one bit. 

Walking past the buildings, he noticed that there was a cry coming from one of the huts - this one old and abandoned, no Viking had lived here in quite a while. He sneaked up to it, recognising the voice of a female human and then what sounded much like a dragon. His eyes widened at the site of his mother, kneeling beside Cloudjumper, who's eyes appeared to be screwed shut in pain. Behind him, he could hear footsteps of sorts, probably Toothless catching up to him. His eyes remained focused on Valka, though. 

"No... I can get you out of here," the woman insisted, attempting to pull a large wooden beam off the beast, who clearly must have suffered a broken bone or two with the weight and size of that thing that currently trapped him. It was obvious from the struggle reflected on her contorted features, that she couldn't. 

Hiccup also knew what her dragon was trying communicate to her. 

"Leave me here. This is dangerous. I can manage myself. Valka! Go." 

It did not take someone who understood the language of dragons to recognise the concern in Cloudjumpers cries, even as he finally opened his eyes to look at her. The winds outside only got louder and stronger and the structure around them shook. 

"Mum- you need to go!" Hiccup exclaimed as soon as he stepped inside, reaching out for her to pull her up and away. Shock momentarily crossed his features when she pushed him away instead, not daring to leave. A twinge of guilt struck the male Viking in the heart and the stomach as he knew Valka did not want to do this. 

A howl could be heard from the outside, another wooden beam shifted from above them. Hiccup tensed, and Toothless, whom had finally arrived at the scene too did his best to drag the boy away. 

Too late.

No sooner did that beam fall, darkness overtook them. 

~*~

Groaning, Hiccup woke up to feel damp grass against his face. Startled, his eyes opened. Damp grass?! 

Waking up, he could feel a sharp pain in his abdomen. A low groan came from a black lump of scales beside him. At least Toothless was here. He turned to face the lizard, who appeared to have yet to regain consciousness. 

"Where are we...?" the Viking murmured, looking around himself as he sat up. The pain got unbearable however and he soon collapsed back down on the ground. Hel. Did they really get crushed by that falling hut? He blinked slowly, thinking about this for a while. His memories floated around for a bit, blurry, just like the image before him before he realised that it must have happened that way. It was the last thing he remembered, really. 

So, then...

How did they survive? And how did they wind up here...?

Wherever here was. 

Toothless let out a small roaring sound that sounded almost like a yawn, before he too opened his eyes and turned his head so that he was facing the Viking. He seemed to be similarly confused, by the expression on his face. 

A shriek brought them out of their confusion. 

Not so far from them was clearly a human being. A female one, by the sounds of it. What were the chances that she had never seen a Night Fury before...?

"Whatever you do, Bud..." Hiccup warned the dragon, "leave the talking to me..." 

~*~

So, that's the first part of this story. The actual reader/O.C (whichever you'd prefer to see) in this story will appear in the next chapter. Well, technically, she might have even appeared now.