» 𝐋𝐨𝐬𝐭 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐌𝐨𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐧 𝐀𝐠𝐞 | 𝐇𝐢𝐜𝐜𝐮𝐩 𝐗 𝐑𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐞𝐫 | 𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝟒 «

As it were, Y/N had been lucky enough not to have been snitched on by the curious kid from a few doors down. However, trying to get a grown dragon to stay put and to not knock over everything in sight... was a whole other story. 

"Toothless!" the woman exclaimed, her E/C eyes widening in fear when she spotted him darting past the narrow space between the coffee table and the couch. As it was, she could not afford a bigger apartment - being a college student, that part was fairly self-explanatory - and so she had to make do with the tight spaces. Clearly, dragons were not made for such spaces and so she constantly ran the risk of the dragon smashing something of sentimental value. 

As whatever the large lizard had knocked over was about to fall on the ground, two things happened. One, Y/N promptly realised that this had been her mother's vase. Two, it still was her mother's vase and thankfully Hiccup had fast enough reflexes to reach out for it just in time. 

She sighed in relief, glad to note that both the vase and Hiccup had come out of that event unharmed. 

Looking up with large, apologetic eyes, Toothless gave a small sound that sounded like a mumbled "sorry" before stalking off into the hallway, his tail hanging low. Well, at least he had slowed down. That might make this place less of a safety hazard to the lot of them. 

"Sorry about Toothless," Hiccup apologised, rubbing the back of his neck as he slowly placed the vase back on the table with his free hand. "It's just that..." 

She nodded, having a vague idea of why his dragon was behaving like this without having to be told. Much like a cat or a dog, animals like Toothless required space and stimulation. It wasn't his fault that he was bored and would have appreciated the outdoors. "I know... and I wish he didn't stand out so much. If he were a dog, at least the two of you could get out once in a while..." 

It had been roughly a week now, and that once in a while outing had yet to happen. The two were instead cooped up here like a sardines in a can, whilst you at least had the opportunity to go to work and to college. Oh, you had never thought it as freeing as now, seeing the two of them get used to this small place. 

Since then, Hiccup had agreed to sleep on the couch, with Toothless routinely curling up at his feet, between the coffee table and the couch. That first day, Y/N almost had a heart attack when the dragon attempted to burn out her floor in the way that the Night Fury would have normally done every night back at home. Fortunately, Hiccup had stopped him just in time and ever since then, there was no need to warn him of not using fire in the house. 

Technology, she did not allow either to use until she walked Hiccup through the basics of how to operate it, for clear safety reasons. As it was, Hiccup really had no idea how electricity worked, or anything else in that matter. It came to him as a shock that they had running water. The day he had found that out, Toothless had sat by the kitchen sink for half an hour, his head just under the tap, enjoying the tap water as it poured over his scaly head, his tongue lolling out and his eyes closed. 

Y/N had to scold him of course - she couldn't let them waste a precious thing such as water - but at least she had a laugh at the dragon's antics. 

In that time, she had also managed to fetch whatever clothes were on sale and more modern for Hiccup to wear, not wanting for him to stick out like a sore thumb if and when he did go out. However, the moment she offered the man to show him around town, Toothless began to protest and it was clear that wherever the Viking went, the dragon went too. It would take some time before she could convince the dragon to stay behaved without his rider present anyway. Still, it was better for the human male to have a change of clothes. 

Overall, she had lost plenty of sleep, plenty of patience and a whole lot of hope of ever being normal again... but it wasn't so bad. How many people could boast that they have seen a dragon? 

Then again, how many people could also boast about seeing a dragon without being ridiculed? None was the answer. 

Y/N flopped onto the couch, tired, having mostly survived just on coffee for the whole week - and she didn't even like coffee! - looking up at the ceiling and wondering what that shifting sound was in the hallway. Hopefully Toothless was on his best behaviour. 

She didn't even realise that Hiccup was still there, watching her, partly with concern and partly with curiosity. "So, you were at this... College place today, right?" he inquired, tilting his head to the side. 

For a moment, the woman tensed, having only now realised that he was still there. Then, she nodded slowly. "Mhmm..." 

College place. Nice way to put it. Then again, she doubted he had colleges on Berk. 

"I'm guessing it was busy today?" he inquired and it made her wonder where he was headed with that. Still, she nodded again. "Do you want me to make you coffee? I just figured since you seemed to drink it a lot that you might want..." 

"Oh, no... it's fine. I prefer decaffeinated tea, personally," she mumbled out, with a small laugh. Of course she would have given off that impression. Still, it was nice of him. Shaking her head, she sat up straight, before looking around. Well, at least it was a Friday. With her assignment done and with some spare time on her hand, she might as well show the male how to make the right beverage. Part of her doubted that the coffee would be good for him, or that he would be used to coffee, so she tried to avoid the worse of her habits. Besides, he was clearly bored. Teaching him something simple, and letting him be useful would probably help him as much as herself. 

Gesturing for him to follow, Y/N stood up and led him into the kitchen, where the kettle stood on one of the counters. She grabbed it, filled it up with water and then let it boil, before leaning against the counter. "So, how was your day?" she asked, even though she had a feeling she already knew the answer. 

"You want the honest answer, or the nicer answer?" he asked, with a small smirk. 

With her eyes shining, the woman laughed a little at his response. "Since I probably know the honest answer, how about you tell me the nicer answer?" 

Toothless in the mean time had probably managed to find your stash of encyclopedias, as, when he walked into the kitchen, his curiosity clearly peeked by the little hint of banter between the two of you, you could see him carrying one of the hard-backed books in his mouth. 

"Toothless!" both you and Hiccup exclaimed at the same time. 

Dammit. Those books cost a fortune. 

A/N - Sorry for taking so much time to update this. Since I am making this up as I am going along, I'm still trying to figure out what way I want this to head. May well end up as a simple story of friendship, rather than a romance too, I dunno.