» 𝐂𝐨𝐧𝐟𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬 | 𝐅𝐮𝐞𝐠𝐨𝐥𝐞𝐨𝐧 𝐱 𝐑𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐞𝐫 «

Rating:
Pairing: Fuegoleon x Fem!Reader
Genre: Romance, fluff. 
Warnings: Violence (I mean, they are magic knights...)

Notes: This takes place shortly after Fuegoleon becomes Magic Knight Captain, and let's assume he's about 25 here... hence why he knows less spells and all that... 

---

You weren't sure what to say, what to do. 

For years now you've watched him from afar, uncertain and perhaps slightly insecure. After all, it was difficult to measure up with his achievements and status. And, as a commoner with less mana and less skill than he had, you weren't even sure he'd ever seen you as worth his attentions. 

You knew Fuegoleon Vermillion was a man capable of great kindness and open-mindedness. You've seen it first-hand before, but for him to be this open-minded? 

For him to love a female peasant?

For the past three years you'd been trying to work up the courage to tell him you love him, but whether you were sober or drunk, safe and secure or very close to dying, those three words, "I love you" had never quite managed to make it past your lips. 

Still, you were determined. 

You trained, and fought and made sure that you would become someone worthy of his respect. No matter how little mana you had, you pushed yourself as far as you could go. 

It wasn't as though he'd never encouraged it. 

"There is no shame in being weak. The shame is in staying weak." 

Still, it regularly seemed to fail. 

Even now, as you fought alongside him, wondering why he'd chosen you, of all people, you didn't think your efforts had truly worked. It had probably been a choice out of convenience. Besides, at the time he couldn't have known how tough those bandits would be, or that they'd be using stolen magical items to increase their magical power.

Surrounded, and in a position where a single spell wouldn't work, especially with there being opposing mages to cover the defense, offense and even support, the two of you found yourself at a loss. Especially since two of your fellow squad members were already knocked out, having arrived at the scene sooner only to be knocked out shortly after Fuegoleon died without him having the chance to save them from that attack. They appeared to be pretty roughed up, and there was little you could do for them asides from a pretty basic healing spell. 

Not to mention that against multiple opponents, Fuegoleon's fire shield could only last so long.

"Y/N, do you see any potential weak spots in the ceiling?" Fuegoleon asked of you, as he kept holding out the opposition. He'd managed to get past a good few of them now, but not without them managing to sneak a few clever hits through the shield, which, in his attempt to protect you and the unconscious squad members from the fight, had managed to hit him instead. 

Uncertain, you nodded, reluctantly looking away from the bloodied knights you were focusing on to the cave surrounding you. Closing their wounds would have to do for now - hopefully there was no internal healing or broken ribs that could puncture their lungs or heart. You had no idea how your magic was supposed to achieve this feat, but what you did know was that your captain needed help. And you weren't about to fail him. 

Using your magic to find spots where the ceiling seemed fragile, you tried to relax yourself and focus, despite the increasing number of undeflected attacks. 

"Found one, captain" you called out, before briefly focusing back on the knights you'd healed to make sure they were breathing.

"Alright. At the count of three, I'm going to need you to find some way to collapse the ceiling."