5 - Avatar Day

Reader's P

Reader's P.O.V.

You stretched out your limps after having sleep against the cave wall. Your back was aching and you were a little grumpy about it.

You tried your best not to show it, but you really didn't feel like moving today. Iroh walked into the cave and saw your distressed form.

"(Y/n)? Are you alright?"
"Yea I'm... I'm ok..." You sighed.

Iroh was just about to ask if you needed anything, but a few baskets land in front of him.
You blinked.

"Huh?"
"Where did you get these?"
Zuko walked away from the two of you, shrugging his shoulders.

"What does it matter where they came from?"
You frowned a bit before inspecting the food.
"Hmmm... Mmmm!"

You snapped your head up to see Iroh chewing happily on a pastry. You roll your eyes and grab one as well.

You nibble on the edge of the food.
This WAS pretty good.
That's what bothered you.

How did Zuko manage to get all of these?
You knew the answer but decided not to say anything... for now...

It wasn't long before Zuko started bringing in loads more of stuff. Like, things you DEFINITELY wouldn't have been able to afford with your status and the begging money you owned now.

The three of you sit in the cave next to the fire.
You're the first one to address the matter as you turn to the man next to you.

"Looks like you did some serious shopping Zuko..."
Iroh nodded in agreement.
"But where did you get the money?"

Avoiding the question, Zuko asked if his uncle liked his new teapot.

"To be honest with you, the best tea tastes delicious whether it comes in a porcelain pot or a tin cup." Iroh then joined the two of you on the other side of the wall.

"I know we've had some difficult times lately. We've all had to struggle just to get by. But it's nothing to be ashamed of. There is a simple honor in poverty."
"There's no honor for me without the Avatar."

You sighed and rest a hand on Zuko's shoulder.
"Zuko... Even if you did capture the Avatar, I'm not so sure it would solve our problems. Not now."
"Then there is no hope at all."

Your jaw dropped a little as he tried to stand, but his uncle stopped him.

"No, Zuko! You must never give in to despair. Allow yourself to slip down that road and you surrender to your lowest instincts. In the darkest times, hope is something you give yourself. That is the meaning of inner strength."

Zuko looked back at his uncle for a moment, then got up to leave. You reached your hand out to follow him, but Iroh stopped you.

You could only watch as he walked away from the cave. You felt a sadness wash over you.