Chapter 2: Mina

It was the calmness of the waters that drew people into the sea-where they would play and waddle in it all day long.

Despite the frolicking, the waves remained cool and calm.

***

"It had to be good, right?" Jihyo ponders loudly as we wait for our orders to arrive.

To be honest, I really can't confirm nor deny if the pitch went well. The client remained expressionless throughout the whole meeting.

"Ugh, it was like talking to you, except he was a guy and in his forties," she remarks.

I glare at her and she immediately catches on.

"Seriously! I can't tell if you're happy or annoyed," Jihyo adds. "Like, okay, show me your normal smile."

My lips rise on instinct, just enough to look pleasant but not too pleasing, but Jihyo immediately winces. "Is that it? You seem like you're putting up with me!"

Well, she's not far off the bat with that. I would retort but, at the end of the day, this bitch is still my boss. Instead, I try to take the topic away from my expression (or lack thereof). "Well, he did say he'll be waiting for the quotation, right? That's gotta be a good thing."

Jihyo looks up at the ceiling and pouts. "You're right—no matter how good or bad an idea is, these brand managers will ultimately look at the figures." Ah, the bane of creativity: money.

About seven minutes later, our bowls of bibimbap arrive. As soon as the waiter left our table, I comment, "Great. The orders arrived three minutes earlier." Jihyo stares at me while she grabs her chopsticks. "What? They said it would take ten to fifteen minutes, but they managed to put it out in seven," I justify.

"Are you a robot? Stop being so weird," Jihyo scolds before taking her first bite. "Dig in. Don't worry—it's on me."

***

There's something about evening bus rides that seem poetic, or maybe the media has conditioned us to be more sentimental in this setting, but I enjoy staring out the window as I head home. Given the nearest stop from the restaurant, it would approximately take me an hour to get home. But, hey, at least I don't have to make instant noodles anymore. I'll probably just take a bath and watch two (or three if I'm feeling a little adventurous) episodes of Hospital Playlist before calling it a night.

My phone buzzes just as I was immersing myself in Arcade Fire's "Photograph". First, I ignore it, thinking it's Jihyo. After all, if you don't answer her text, she'll call after a few minutes. However, it buzzes a second time. It's Jeongyeon.

JY: Minari
JY: Are you busy?
Me: On my way home. What's up?
JY: Would you like to come over? I need your help

What the? Comically, the sudden ask for assistance coincides with the bus going on an abrupt stop.

JY: Help me pick what's better 😊
Me: What? I have work tomorrow. Can't you just send it?
JY: Oh, okay...

A few seconds later, Jeongyeon sends two timed images set to expire in a minute. It's...two sets of lingerie—a black lacey see-through and a red version of the same underwear. Damn, she even made sure that the lighting accentuated her curves and gave just enough visibility of her nipples and pubic hair underneath the fabric.

This play's sneaky to say the least. Yoo Jeongyeon...this isn't fair. She knows I'm weak for lacey underwear and she picked out her two best sets to flaunt. This is a deliberate move.

JY: What do you think?
Me: I think...
Me: ...it'll take me 17 minutes to get there.

***

Jeongyeon answers the door in her robe, parted slightly to the side-just enough to reveal a bit of her bra. So, she went with the black one, after all.

"Seventeen minutes, huh?" Jeongyeon glances over at her wall clock. "Impressive."

"Like I said," I murmur with pride as I make my way into the vanilla-scented apartment. "Looks like you've been heavy on renovations," I comment, observing the lack of our grotto of Polaroids, my vinyl figures, and my stuff that used to be scattered around this space.

"Well, I wanted it to be more 'me,'" Jeongyeon whispers at my nape as she starts unbuttoning my blouse from behind. "God, I love it when you're in corporate attire," she adds before biting my earlobe.

"Wait," I say, holding her wrists. "Let me take a shower first. I was out the whole day."

"Don't. I like your natural scent—especially here," she answers while cupping my crotch, as my lower back tenses and presses against her. Before I could say anything else, Jeongyeon takes off my top and flings it—barely missing the sofa.

As Jeongyeon starts nibbling on my shoulder, I wrap my right arm around her head—grasping her short rose gold hair in the process. She whispers a mixture of incoherent breathing and cussing as a hand reaches under my bra, while the other digs itself into my cartoon print panties; a far cry from Jeongyeon's underwear.

She quickly kneels down in front of me, pulls my last remaining fabric down and starts kissing me down there. I prop my left leg up the nearest chair, and grind my mound against her face, increasing the speed to match the rate of her licks.

Jeongyeon pulls away and glares at me. "Don't do that, I don't like being degraded."

The fuck? She used to like it when I got intense with her. However, to prevent spoiling the mood, I just mutter an apology as she resumes eating me down there.

My quivering ecstasy is cut short as I bite a little too hard on my lip, causing it to bleed. Jeongyeon rises to meet me, looking at the affected area and...proceeds to kiss me, sucking the blood in the process. What the?

I now pull back from her lips, tasting the iron from my own blood. "Wait, it's bleeding."

"I don't mind," she retorts and continues the vampiric act. Despite the weird development, my lust for Jeongyeon gets the better of me.

A few minutes of eating and grinding against each other, Jeongyeon arches her back and lets out a stifled moan. She lays on top of me, her juices dripping down all the way to my butt.

"Wait...that's it?"

Jeongyeon hums against my clavicle. "Yeah, that was intense."

"But, I haven't finished," I say, looking at the dim light from the ceiling.

"Sorry, I don't think I can take another round," Jeongyeon remarks. She gets up and prepares two glasses of water, while I lay on the sofa, debating whether I'm disappointed or okay with this. This is really weird, the Jeongyeon I know would've been hellbent on making me cum at least twice, whether it was a quickie or not.

As I fix myself up, a sudden urge of curiosity comes over and I nonchalantly ask: "So, what are we?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, we still talk constantly, and this."

Jeongyeon turns off the faucet from her kitchen sink and scoffs. "What? Can't we just be fuck buddies?"

Hearing that term from Jeongyeon puts my stomach in a little knot—where's the girl who was always about exclusivity and cute jealousy? I know I'm not really looking for a relationship right now, but it feels like I'm with a different person right now.

Once she finishes washing the leftover dishes from the sink, Jeongyeon turns towards me. "Oh, do you want me to get you a ride home?"

I shake my head, curtly smiling. "No thanks, I can still catch the bus." With that, I head over to the door.

As I walk to the elevator, a thought immediately presents itself: Why did I have sex with my ex?