Chapter 17: Chaeyoung

The dark abyss beneath the sea showed itself once more. Not wanting to be bothered, the storm hurled a decisive strike of lightning at it.

***

In honor of seeing her surrogate daughter, Umma has invited Jeongyeon over to our apartment for dinner.

"Imo, you have no idea how much I missed your chapchae," Jeongyeon exclaims after slurping.

"It's nothing compared to your father's, though," Umma admits.

It's true—Jeongyeon's father is now one of the most decorated chefs in the country. But, before he rose to fame, he would always bring us his dishes for feedback on the menu of his very first restaurant.

"I'll let you in on a secret," my unnie whispers. "Yours is better."

Umma laughs boisterously as she hits Jeongyeon's forearm. Her ego must be swelling now.

I glance at Mina, who's quietly eating beside me, the polar opposite of Jeongyeon howling with her mouth wide open.

"How is it?" I whisper over to our silent guest.

She doesn't say anything, just a curt smile and a thumbs up. Come to think of it, Mina has been quieter than usual since this afternoon.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah. I'm just...a bit tired, that's all," Mina mutters.

Maybe she's just being polite. I've seen her eyes quickly glancing at Jeongyeon for at least five times already since we sat in the same table. Wait...is it the presence of her ex that's bothering her?

A few more minutes pass with mostly Jeongyeon and Umma swaying the conversation. I must admit that this is probably the loudest our apartment has been since we got back. I'd understand if a naturally quiet person like Mina would be drained.

True enough, Mina stands up and bows. "Imo-nim, thanks for the meal. I should get going," she says in her classic soft manner.

"Stay," Jeongyeon rebuts. "I'll just drive you home later."

"Drive her? She just lives above our unit," Umma shares, her voice a little louder from the wine.

"Oh, interesting," Jeongyeon notes, nodding at Mina, who has her back slightly hunched as if she's waiting to be released from bowing.

"You didn't know?" I'm actually surprised at this development. I know they're exes, but they seemed like close friends when we drank together. Well, sort of.

"Nope. Mina never shared where she lives," Jeongyeon answers, her stare still on the woman beside me.

Mina's face, I'm not sure if Umma or Jeongyeon notices this, has reverted to the robotic disposition I was initially exposed to. But, this time, it looks like there's annoyance in the mix.

"I'll show her out," I offer, quickly ushering Mina to our door.

"I guess I'll just see you tomorrow. Good night, Chaeyoung-ah," Mina mumbled.

"I, uh, thanks for coming with me today."

She throws a subtle smile, staring into space, before heading over to the staircase.

"Chaeyoung-ah! Come on, we still have a bottle to finish," Jeongyeon shouts from the dining table.

***

"You should've let unnie stay here," I say, putting the last plate on the rack.

Umma shrugs as she keeps browsing channels. "She's far from drunk—she'll get home without a scratch."