Chapter 20: Mina

The sea and the storm didn't care anymore. After all, they were both forces of nature-not meant to be tempered by anyone.

***

No wonder it's a "come as you are" event. The whole venue takes place on a cliff beside the resort, overlooking the sea. Maybe Carl and his fiancée wanted a very inclusive wedding, as the audience awaiting for the ceremony to begin consists of people of various ethnicities-mostly from Carl's side of the world.

As I scan the setup, Jihyo and Dahyun spring out of the floral arrangements. Our boss immediately spots me and approaches with a glare. As soon as she's near, the authoritative exterior crumbles because of the laughter she's stifling.

"Come Monday, hell awaits you at the office," Jihyo exclaims, tugging the collar of her white blazer.

"We missed you Minari," Dahyun says pressing on my shoulder. Before sitting beside me, she fixes the backside of her pink floral maxi dress.

"Sorry," I reply. "I promise I'll be back on Monday."

Jihyo scoffs. "You better. By the way, have you seen Carl or Chaeyoung?"

"Carl's probably in his room, and I think Chaeyoung's with the wedding planner."

"May we request everyone to please take their seats. The ceremony is about to begin in five minutes," the speakers boom, startling everyone nearby.

Dahyun sidles closer to me. "Are you sure you're not part of the entourage?" she whispers.

"No. Why'd you ask?"

"You just look like you are."

Jihyo shushes us, turning her attention to the aisle. True enough, after the three minutes, music starts to play as, in pairs, the bridesmaids and groomsmen waltz in at a glacial pace.

"10,000 Won on Carl crying at his own wedding," Jihyo murmurs. An old lady behind her scolds our sunbaenim, to which she apologizes.

"Why bet on a losing horse?" I murmur, making it nearly inaudible under the music playing.

While waiting for Chaeyoung to march, I glance at Carl, who's so red right now you'd think he was sunbathing before the wedding. It's funny how he keeps a smile while standing straight as a ruler.

And there she is. With a floral crown on her head, similar to what I visualized during her fitting, Chaeyoung paces herself with a groomsman. Like the fairy I thought she'd be, all of the heads in sight follow her until she manages to sit on her chair.

The instrumental fades out once the procession is done. A woman in front of the string quartet starts with a song that I am very much familiar with-Urban Zakapa's "You're The Reason." As soon as the music kicks in, we get a glimpse of Suh-yeon under the entrance arch.

Her gown is crisp and simple-a bleach white column type. With a bouqet in hand, the bride treads carefully along the aisle, looking left to right with a subtle smile on her face. Once Suh-yeon sets her gaze onto the altar upfront, I look at Carl, who's already wiping his tears with a handkerchief.

By the time Suh-yeon takes Carl's hand, I couldn't help but feel envious. Here are two people, who are so sure (at least I hope they are) about spending their lives with the person in front of them. With the desire to see how Chaeyoung's taking everything in, I look at her-only to see her looking at me before shifting her sights to the front.

***

The reception program took longer than normal, because it was a combination of two cultures' wedding practices.

"See anyone you fancy here?" Jihyo asks, taking a sip off of her second glass of champagne.

Aside from Chaeyoung, there really isn't anyone here to my liking. There was, however, a tall, slender foreigner roaming near the event. Maybe she's a guest here at the resort. Other than that? Nada.

During dinner, Carl and Suh-yeon finally make their way to our table, which we share with three middle-aged women-Carl's distant aunts.

"Congratulations, you two," Jihyo beams as we hug the newly wed couple.

"Suh-yeon-ssi, now it's too late. You're now married to this idiot," Dahyun jests. Carl playfully glares at her in return as his wife laughs in agreement.

My phone buzzes with a message from Chaeyoung: "Ugh, how I wish I was sitting there with you guys-my partner's breath smells!"

"Don't worry-not much left in the program, right?" I reply.

***

Weirdly, I always look forward to the after party-it's when you actually get to have fun as a wedding guest. The oldies retire from the event, while the young ones get wasted.

"Minari, come on!" Chaeyoung tries to pull me in to dance. "Don't be such an ahjumma!" After a few attempts, I let her drag me with her. Dahyun stays behind, complaining about how her feet are dead due to the high heels she wore. Jihyo got a head start, grinding against one of the groomsmen.

Not being familiar with the song, I just try to flail and sway according to the beat.

Despite the blaring music, I could hear Chaeyoung's laughter-her nostrils flaring at my ineptitude to dance.

"I'm not really good at this," I explain, leaning closer to her ear.

Chaeyoung suddenly puts both of my hands on her waist as she leads the dance. Being a little inebriated myself, I decide to let loose with her.

After two upbeat songs, which honestly sound identical, the DJ scratches the record and the venue goes silent, garnering few boos from the audience.

In a comically husky voice, the DJ speaks with the corniest segue ever: "This one is for the lovebirds Carl and Suh-yeon. Everyone else, grab a partner and let's share the love with the newlyweds." He then proceeds to play a ballad-Fromis_9's "Starry Night." Okay, maybe he's not the worst DJ after all.

With this song being more my speed, I extend my hand to Chaeyoung, who's swaying left to right in her own little space.

"May I have this dance?" I ask with a chuckle.

She looks at my hand, smiles at me, and grabs it.

With her hands on my shoulder, I carefully place mine on her waist. So, we sway, just looking into each other's eyes.

Jihyo and Dahyun kept hollering "MiChaeng" from our table and, like two nervous teenagers, we chuckle at the moniker they gave us.

"You're so beautiful," Chaeyoung mouths the words.

"Yeah, thanks to you..." I say. "You're not so bad yourself-like a fairy."

She moves her ear closer to me. "What?"

Maybe it's the shots I took earlier, but I deliberately put my lips close enough that I could feel her earlobe. "I said, 'You look like an enchantress.'"

In response, Chaeyoung wraps her arms around my neck and rests her head on my chest.

Tonight couldn't be more perfect. This song. These people. And this girl. Taking this as a sign from the universe, I pull her closer to me, practically hugging her by the waist.

No more games.

No more hesitation.

In about eight seconds, this song will reach its climax.

Then, I'll tell Chaeyoung.

"Get ready," I say, before twirling her and putting her back against me-my head now resting on her shoulders.

With my forearms on her ribs, I whisper: "Chaeyoung-ah...I-"

She quickly pushes me back, almost knocking me down. Amidst the sea of people slow dancing with one another, Chaeyoung stands looking at the hot foreigner I saw earlier.

"J-jagiya?! What're you doing here?"