Chapter 32: Mina

The sea was through playing the storm's sick game. But the violent force of thunder and wind just couldn't let go. Not yet.

***

"You can't be serious."

"I am. Sorry."

Jihyo runs her hand through her face, breathing into her fingers, as she stares at the table. "Why all of a sudden?"

I hang my head low. "Like I said, I miss my family and there's an offer from my father's hospital."

These aren't lies, but I just can't stay here anymore. Not with Chaeyoung around.

"Can't you at least wait so we can train another writer?"

Seeing how Jihyo is desperate sinks my heart, but I still shake my head. "The offer doesn't stand forever, sunbaenim."

Jihyo scratches the back of her hair, as if thinking of a solution, and sighs deeply. "Is this about the senior position? I know you've worked hard and long here, but-"

"-It's not," I cut her. Well, sure, it's one of the reasons, but not primarily.

"Look, just let me talk to management about this, okay?" she pleads. I've heard the spiel before, and I've stopped hoping.

"No need. I already confirmed with the hospital anyway. Thanks, sunbaenim."

They think they're slick, but I could see Dahyun and Carl passing by the window for the last five minutes. Once Jihyo puts my resignation letter into her folder, the two outside stand still for a few seconds before leaving.

"Rooftop. Now," Carl says in a text.

***

Once I step out of the fire exit, Carl and Dahyun are already waiting by our favorite spot, the latter already pouting.

"Why didn't you tell us?" Dahyun says, immediately hugging me.

I can't tell them the real reason why I can't stay here any longer. Luckily, I've already simulated this in my mind.

"I...didn't want to jinx it, y'know? Besides, I really miss my family."

Carl pats me on the back, chuckling. "You finally did it. I'm a little envious, to be honest. No more Three Musketeers."

It's an inside joke for the three of us, since we got in this company nearly the same time, essentially making us batchmates.

"You're still three. You have Chaeyoung," I say. Saying her name puts a lump in my throat, but I manage to quickly clear it.

"I don't usually go here, you know? You should be honored," Dahyun exclaims, still keeping that playful glare about her. Aside from the smoke, she doesn't really like being in direct contact with the sun, which would explain her ghost-like exterior.

"Where will you be working in Japan?" Carl asks, finally lighting his cigarette.

"The hospital where my dad works at."

Dahyun laughs. "You? A hospital? You're kidding right?!"

"I'll be part of their PR team, stupid," I shoot back.

"When's your last day?" Carl asks.

"Tomorrow."

Their eyes widen at me.

"I'm using all my remaining leaves, since I don't really have to turn over a lot of stuff," I add, to negate them asking why I'm in a rush to get out of this place.