Chapter 22: Chaeyoung

The storm stops everything-the rain and the winds-as more sunlight punctures through the clouds.

***

"I'm glad they let you take some time off," I tell Somi.

"Of course. Had to make sure I'd be there for their wedding," she responds, looking out the window. "I only have four days left, though. The firm just gave me a week."

"Then..." I place my hand above hers. "...let's make the most out of it, okay?"

"Up to you, jagiya," she smiles. Of course, this is technically my city, since Somi lived most of her life in Toronto.

First stop is a fifties-themed diner because, honestly, I missed food from the Western part of the world. Since we have a whole day planned, I decided it's best to stock up on carbs.

"...and here's your fries, drizzled in ketchup, as you requested," the waitress says, before putting a huge plate of fried potatoes on our table.

As soon as the waitress leaves, Somi clicks her tongue. "Why'd you do that?"

I raise an eyebrow at her. "Do what?"

"You know I hate ketchup, right?" Somi huffs.

She does? Maybe I've been used to having my fries with ketchup because of Mina, that's why I ordered it instinctively. "We...could just get..." I stammer, not wanting to displease someone I've been dying to be with for months.

"Nevermind. You can just enjoy that..." she eyes the fries. "...by yourself."

"Sorry, jagiya."

***

"I got us tickets to the new 4D ride," I beam waving the stubs at Somi, who seems to be preoccupied responding to some e-mails on her phone.

"Jagiya, you know I have bad motion sickness," she states, her eyes still on the small screen.

"B-but you like Star Wars, right? This is as close you'll get to riding an X-Wing," I implore.

She smirks at me. "The movies, jagiya. I like the movies. But that doesn't mean I want to experience it. Can't we just sit here?"

I crouch beside her, because kneeling would scrape my knees against the pavement. "C'mon...just say yes."

The glare from the diner comes back, as she stares me down. "No."

It's okay, Chaeyoung. You can just talk with each other. Comfortable silences and all that shit. Thankfully, Jihyo allowed me to take Somi's remaining days as emergency leaves.

"Where are you staying, by the way?"

"My aunt in Gangnam-dong has a place for rent. Since there's no one there right now, and I'll be leaving next week, she let me stay there."

The thought of sleeping again with Somi elates me. The night we spent at the resort doesn't really count, as that was filled with awkwardness and surprise. Who wouldn't be? Imagine going to the other side of the world, only to see your girlfriend in the arms of another woman. I want to bring it up with her, but at the same time, was I really doing anything wrong, though? You could chalk that up to two friends having a good time at the dance floor.

"Cool, then maybe we can get some of my stuff at my apartment then head over to yours...?"

Her gaze leaves her phone with a raised eyebrow. "Uh...why would you do something like that?"

"Because..." I glide my thumb across her knuckles. "...I love you and want to be with you, duh." Why does it sound like a script?

Somi scoffs. "Trust me-you don't wanna be there. Besides, it's small enough for one."

"Then just stay with me. Umma's been missing you, too."

"Would you relax? I'll only be here less than week...no need to do adjustments here and there," she hisses.

What's with all this elusiveness? Is this some sort of punishment? Isn't she excited to see me at the very least?

***

By now, after dinner and doing the dishes, I'd go to Mina's room and pester her to watch something or just soak in new music. Instead, I'm bringing Somi home.

And the car ride has never been colder.

I decide to keep mum throughout the ride as well. Trying to please her the whole day has been exhausting to say the least.

Why does it feel like I left the Somi I know over at Toronto more than half a year ago? Who is this person beside me?

I park the car at the bottom of a narrow slope, its sides formed by cascading homes, making the area seem more cramped than it actually is.

"Well, here you are," I mutter, leaning against her doorframe.

"Chaeyoung-ah," Somi starts, her tone now softer. For the first time since she got back, she holds my hand out of her own volition. "I...I'm sorry. It's just that we parted on bad terms, and we really haven't aired it out yet."

"That's what I've been trying to do since I got here!" I'm surprised at the outburst myself, like it's something I wanted to say since my first call from Seoul to Toronto.

Somi lets go of my hand and stares at the ground. "I-I know. I should've been more understanding of your situation." As soon as her eyes start to well with trembling lips, I hold her face down.

"We promised to make it work, right? Despite the odds?" My own tears start to fall without resistance as I look up to this beautiful woman in front of me.

Somi closes her eyes and nods. Then, for the first time in what felt like forever, we lock lips.

My girlfriend. My Somi.