Chapter 3: Mina

Little did the sea know, despite another calm sunny day, dark clouds were looming just beyond the horizon.

***

As expected, last night's romp with Jeongyeon was a bad idea. I only have seven minutes and forty-two seconds before I'm, God forbid, tagged as tardy.

Upon getting off my stop, I dash along the busy sidewalk with countless employees making their way to their respective offices. Thankfully, I'm wearing jeans and flats today.

As I arrive by the lobby, Carl is already waiting by the reception area with a smug grin on his face. He blocks the path where I have to badge in-with thirty seconds left. Not wanting to tarnish my record, I stab his midsection with my nails, causing him to jerk to the side.

"Hey! No need to get violent," Carl cries with a chuckle.

Making our way into our cubicles, he gloats about how he managed to get to the office ahead of me.

"This is a good omen," he comments, stretching his arms as we walk, as if he'd just woken up from the best sleep of his life. "I think my wedding will go smoothly."

"You know—it's boring if you're always at the top," I counter, tilting my head as I smile at him.

Carl winces at my rebuttal, but quickly shifts his attention behind me. "Hey, Cub! What are you doing here?!" He exclaims in English, rushing towards a girl on the waiting lounge.

Just like that, I instantly forget about my attendance record. To say this girl is attractive is putting it mildly. Sporting a slick blonde bob,  a dark grey wool suit ensemble, and an off-white blouse makes her look like a tomboyish executive. But, wait, her subtle strawberry-themed accessories add a surprisingly quirky layer to her. Is she a client? And why does Carl know her?

"Shouldn't you be heading to your desk?" Jihyo asks after clearing her throat behind me.

"Sorry, sunbaenim."

"Also, freshen up, would you? You look like you ran a marathon," she whispers.

Right. Jihyo's comment brings me back to the reality that I indeed look like shit. Not wanting this mystery girl to see me in this state, I quickly follow behind my boss.

***

Upon entering the restroom, the sight of Dahyun applying makeup greets me. Great, even the perpetually late Dahyun got here before me. She could've done this yesterday, but no, I had to lose 5,000 won to that clown.

"Good morning," she says, not looking away from her reflection. "Why are you so sweaty?"

"I was almost late—like seconds from it."

Dahyun's little monolid eyes widen as she scoffs. "Well, that's new."

"You know what else is new?" I pause, waiting for her acknowledgment. "You're on time."

She scowls at me while curling her eyelashes.

With her arm raised, I see a gold bangle against Dahyun's supernaturally fair skin-and my thoughts circle back to the girl in the waiting lounge.

"Hey, have you seen the stylish woman outside? I think Carl knows her."

Dahyun hums, puckering her lips with a pale red tint. "Ah, that's the applicant—for the other graphic artist slot."

What? When was Jihyo hiring? Also, how about another writer? "Oh. I didn't know we were looking for another artist."

She grins smugly after observing her handiwork. "Because you're always on your earphones."

Dahyun's right—once I know what to do for the day, unless we need to be in meetings, I simply immerse myself in either music or podcasts.

"Well, I hope she gets in," I murmur, wiping the sweat off my nape. Dahyun looks at me with a puzzled expression but I'm quick on my feet. "After all, Carl's been complaining non-stop about the volume of design work."

***

I wish Jihyo would hold interviews inside the Creative department so I could eavesdrop, but she doesn't...for confidentiality reasons. So, in an attempt to fish out more intel, I turn to Carl, who's adeptly switching between two design programs like a madman.

"How do you know the applicant?" I ask nonchalantly.

"She's a friend," he replies, eyes still glued to the monitor.

"Canada? Or here?"

"We met in Canada, but I guess she lives here now." Carl's tone is deadpan, which is so unlike him.

"How'd you guys meet?" Yes—I have a lot of time today.

Carl clicks his tongue, his sense of duty still not wavering. "Look—why don't you join us for lunch and ask her instead?"

"Oh, okay. Sorry," I mutter. A serious Carl is so unnerving, apparently.

He sighs and immediately apologizes. "No, I'm sorry. It's just Jihyo wants me to finish this before lunch."

"I see. But wait—one last question: are you sure it's alright if I join you guys for lunch?"