Chapter 29: Mina

The storm couldn't explain why, but it seems like the sea has been pulling the clouds into the water. They didn't know it yet, but the people nearby were already witnessing an oddity of nature at work.

***

Chaeyoung's hold on me remains as Jeongyeon eyes us with a wry smile.

"My best friend and my ex. Who'd have thought?"

She paces, as if observing an artwork, with her arms crossed. After a few seconds, Jeongyeon pauses and stands straight, holding a finger up. "Now it makes sense! You liking someone and this cub right here defending you..." Jeongyeon notes, her eyes on me.

"Is there a problem?" I ask.

Jeongyeon shakes her head. "No! I'm happy for you, Minari. This must be my karma at work," she explains partly in laughter. It's hard to tell with the tone of her voice if she's sincere or otherwise.

Yeah, that's right-you deserve to see this and more.

My ex's gaze shifts over to Chaeyoung. "So, I'm guessing what's-her-name's single now, huh? The slender chick. Is she even from here?" Jeongyeon asks.

Chaeyoung finally lets go and stands beside me. "S-she...she's back in Canada," she stammers. Why does it seem like Chaeyoung is in front of a ghost right now?

Jeongyeon mouths an ooh with a raised eyebrow. "I see. Well, just a tip: Mina really likes it when you show her off on social media, so change your profile picture and announce your relationship status."

"Jeongyeon-ssi, stop it," I command, my left hand firmly holding a bok choy just in case she tries anything funny.

"Ssi? Why so formal? I'm just giving advice to my best friend...who's now dating my ex," she clarifies with a smug grin, enunciating the two operative terms, as she waves her hands. This fucking pompous bitch, really. Why did I waste my years on her?

I side-eye Chaeyoung, who's strangely rattled and keeping her eyes on the ground.

"Look, if you're planning to start a scandal here, I'd be glad to go outside." I try my best not to raise my voice, but I can already feel my right knee shaking.

Jeongyeon chuckles, shaking her head. "Like I said, I deserve this. It's just that..." she pauses and gives Chaeyoung a glance. "I find the irony funny." Her gaze lingers on my girlfriend for about ten seconds more before shifting her disposition into a more pleasant vibe. "Anyway, I wish the both of you the best of luck," she exclaims with a sigh as she bows and leaves.

After Jeongyeon's departure, Chaeyoung's body jolts forward, as if a spirit had just left her.

"You okay?"

Chaeyoung stares into space for an uncomfortable amount of time before shaking her head.

***

Like a mindless drone, Chaeyoung passively helped prepare dinner. While Mrs. Son cooked Dak Galbi, I opted to make a larger serving of omu rice. I wanted something that's easy to make, since Chaeyoung has been really out of it since our encounter with Jeongyeon.

Mrs. Son pulls a yellow plastic bag from the kitchen counter and places it in front of her daughter. "Chaeyoung-ah, mail that to Somi-yah, okay? Might as well give your girlfriend something...aigoo."

Chaeyoung looks at me briefly, rolling her tongue to her cheek, before humming in agreement. "I'll do it tomorrow."

It's just a passing thought, that maybe Mrs. Son wanted to have dinner with her daughter's new girlfriend, but it seems like Chaeyoung has yet to announce the news. It's okay, Mina. Keep your neurosis in check.