Chapter 38: Mina

People expected a catastrophe, and prepared to evacuate. But that's the thing with forces of nature—they're unpredictable.

***

Suddenly, the asphalt doesn't feel so coarse.

"Chaeyoung-ah? What're you doing here?"

Even with a little smile, her eyes do not meet mine as she continues massaging my ankle. "I have to give your present. Belated happy birthday," she mutters. "If you'll look inside the shoes, it comes with socks as well."

Once I take the pair out, she gets the socks and place them with utmost care on my feet.

"I hope that you'll," she pauses, "wear it. I made sure to design something that goes with a lot of your clothes."

Next are the shoes. I must admit that Chaeyoung has really considered my interests and wardrobe with this patterned design. It's cute, but not childish, and a perfect fit. She really has an eye for details.

"Not so tight," I say as she pulls hard on the laces of my right shoe.

"It's okay, it'll help with your sprain." She pulls me up and places my arm around her shoulder. "There's a bench nearby."

I never thought I'd get a whiff of her scent ever again as her soft hair brushes my cheek. Why am I letting her do all these? It's not even really a sprain. Is it payback? Or did I just miss being with her?

As we settle onto the bench, I raise my feet to look at the shoes once more. "Thanks. It looks nice."

"I'm glad."

We spend the next minutes in silence. After all, what should we say to each other? I didn't plan for this, not one bit. God, I hate awkward silences—and I'm an introvert.

"Where are you staying?" I finally break the silence with small talk.

"At Sana's. I came with the three of them."

I see, so she's been here since my friends showed up two days ago.

"Thanks for this," she says, putting the bag I knitted on top of her lap. "I really love it."

Should I say "You're welcome"? I mean, I knitted that when Chaeyoung meant the world to me...before everything went downhill.

"Minari, I'm really sorry," Chaeyoung starts. Okay, at least we don't have to prance around these pleasantries. "I didn't think about what my lack of agency would do to you. But, ever since that night in your bed, I knew it was only you. I didn't want to admit it at first, thinking I was being unfaithful to Somi. But, since we've been together, I didn't look any other way."

"Then...why were you so upset when you found out she cheated?"

Chaeyoung's voice raises. "Think about it. If you were in my shoes, if you found out that you've been cheated on while you were trying to prevent your relationship from crumbling, wouldn't you be?"

Of course I would, but not to the point that I'd go out of my way and make an overseas call. "Sure, I would be—"

"Then you must understand how—"

"—but, at the end of the day, I'd have you. At least that's what I think. That's what I couldn't understand. You had me, yet you're still wrapped around your ex."

Chaeyoung stammers and hastily wipes a tear from her eye. As she runs her hand through her face, my sights remain on her. "Oh God...will you still forgive me? Would you take me back?"

What do I say? While, yes, what she did was despicable, it doesn't take away the fact that she helped people around me see my value. Come on Mina, think! Why do my words escape me?

After a while, Chaeyoung sighs as she stands up. "I understand. Have a...great life, Minari," she says, mustering a smile amidst her cracking voice. "At least, I can live my life without any regrets now." She slowly turns around and walks away, sobbing.

Now or never, Mina. What are you going to do?

***

"Sorry dear, the lecture went on for quite a while," Oto-san explains as he takes off his ID. He eyes me, down to my shoes. "Huh...must've taken a while, for you to buy new shoes. Anyway, I'll just treat you to that oyster place you like. Sounds good?"

"Promise? You can't back out."

He chuckles as he pats my head. "Of course, princess." He holds out his arm for me to hold on. "Shall we?"

"Wait. I'm waiting for someone. She'll be coming along; she's just in the ladies room."

Oto-san eyes me with a raised eyebrow. "Now, wait a minute...that place is expensive! I didn't agree to—"

I put my finger onto his lips. "Nope. You already promised. She'll join us—whether you like it or not."

-END-

A/N: Sorry. Admittedly, this story is far from my best and just wanted to end it. I'll come back with something better.