Chapter Twenty Three - 'Hoarsing' Around

You woke up earlier than usual. Rolling over in bed, you looked over at your digital clock. Eight forty-seven in the morning. Groaning, you got out of bed and into your bathroom. You saw your dress and shoes by the chair and reminded yourself that you were planning to shower in the morning. 

After brushing your teeth, you stepped into the shower. You tried to hum a tune but noticed that your voice was hoarse. 

"What?" you croaked, holding onto your throat, "No fucking way." 

In your past gigs, you'd scream and shout and only have to deal with a minor voice change the next day. But for some reason, you sounded like a toad today. Some of the songs you had sung the night before had high notes you had to hold, but you didn't expect this to happen.

Finishing up your shower, you ran to your closet to mash together a random outfit. You decided on a brown-toned checked flannel, a random black band tee, and a pair of cuffed blue jean shorts. As fall was approaching, the atmosphere began to grow colder. It was now the beginning of October. You decided to slip on a pair of distressed stockings under your shorts and slipped on your Oxford Dr. Martens. 

It was now nine twenty-two in the morning. Stretching in front of your mirror, you finally decided to head out to the kitchen. 

"Good morning (Y/N)," Steve said, eating a bowl of cereal. He was the only one who was currently awake.

"Good morning," you squawked, grabbing your throat in embarrassment. 

"You okay?" Steve asked, looking up at you from where you stood. 

"I think I hit one too many high notes yesterday, not enough vocal practice I guess," you answered, your voice barely a whisper. You then attempted to clear your throat. 

"Hey hey hey, don't do that," Steve said, "That and whispering will make it worse," he got up to replace your cup of coffee with a glass of water. You wanted to protest - that coffee wasn't for you in the first place. 

"Loki," you said, pointing to the coffee Steve was about to pour down the drain. 

"Oh," Steve said apologetically, setting it back down on the counter, "Anyways, just rest your voice for today." 

"Why?" Tony asked, walking in with his glasses on and a mug in his hand. 

"She's got a hoarse throat," Steve explained for you. You nodded at Tony, then giving Steve an appreciative look. 

"Oh. In that case, have some lozenges kid," Tony reached into his pocket and threw a small package of cherry-flavoured Halls your way.

"Thanks," you smiled, putting them into your shorts pocket.

"Nuh-uh, no talking today," Tony warned, waving a finger in your face before grabbing himself some toast. 

You made a face of disapproval, but you knew they were right. Sighing, you poured yourself two bowls of cereal with milk and walked over to Loki's room. Knocking with your foot, you waited until Loki opened the door for you because your hands were full.

"Good morning," He greeted you, welcoming you in.

"Good morning," you rasped, stepping inside of his room. 

"Your voice, are you sick? " Loki asked, taking his bowl and cup of coffee from your arms. 

"No," you replied, sitting down, "I hit too many high notes with barely any practice, now my voicebox is suffering the consequences." You managed to say, digging into your cereal. 

"Should you be talking?" He raised an eyebrow at you and you shook your head in response. 

"Ah, so I get a day of peace and quiet after all," He chuckled. You made a sour face at him. Grabbing a piece of paper and a pen from his desk, you began to write. Loki read it out loud.