3

"Excuse me." 

Childe opened his eyes to find himself directly outside the massive mora pit. The door was closed and sealed shut. "Excuse me," the voice repeated, hovering over Childe's face. A man dressed in rather nice attire with a ponytail that was incredibly long. The ends of his hair looked as if they were dipped in gold. 

"My name is Zhongli," he placed his hand over his chest. 

"Childe," he held out his hand to shake Zhongli's and instead his hand was grabbed by Zhongli's gloved one. Childe was pulled off of the ground to his feet. He stumbled into Zhongli. "Sorry..." He smelled familiar. Almost like the dragon. Was this because they lived together? Subconsciously, Childe leaned into Zhongli further, sniffing his hair. "Ah!" Childe took a few steps back. "I'm sorry..."  

"It's quite alright," Zhongli's face was stoic. Childe wondered if he ever showed emotion. 

"I thought I was the only..." Childe pointed to himself. "Who are....?" he pointed to Zhongli. 

"Morax and I are one and the same," Zhongli replied. 

"So, you're like...his best friend?" 

Zhongli's eyes widened slightly in what Childe imagined was a look of surprise. He held his hand to his chin and looked away, deep in thought. He opened his mouth to speak after many minutes had passed but Childe grabbed his hands and looked at his eyes with awe in his face. "Have you been with him all of this time? What's he like? Are you his caretaker? I don't see anyone else around so-" 

"We are-" Zhongli stopped himself from speaking. His lips pressed into a firm line and he let out a long sigh. "Something like that." 

"Will you show me around this place?" 

"Ah, mm," Zhongli nodded and turned around. The entirety of his clothing was well crafted. Childe couldn't help staring at the amulet around his waist. "Childe?" Zhongli looked over his shoulder. 

"I wasn't looking at your ass!" Childe blurted out, face turning red. 

"My vision," Zhongli grabbed the amulet-like object and removed it from his waist. He held it out for Childe to look at. "It is fused with the element geo. All living beings have a natural affinity. Visions are bestowed upon by the archons, in most cases." 

"Archons?" 

"Morax," Zhongli gestured to the sealed mora pit, "is an archon." 

"Are your eyes naturally that beautiful or do you put on makeup?" Childe blurted out. 

"Hm?" Zhongli's head tilted slightly. "Natural?" 

"What is my affinity?" Childe's eyes lit up, curious. 

"Pardon me," Zhongli stepped forward and cupped Childe's face. He pressed his forehead to his and closed his eyes. Childe's heart skipped a beat again. That smell...was it the tea? Childe stared at Zhongli's long lashes and felt himself move closer. He kissed him and Zhongli's eyes snapped open. 

"I'm so sorry!" Childe slapped a hand over his mouth and took about seven steps back. 

"It's quite alright. I simply wasn't expecting that," Zhongli replied calmly as ever. "I have known humans to be quite intimate but I must say I have never had someone kiss me upon first interaction." He cleared his throat and crossed his arms. "Your natural affinity is hydro." 

"Eh?" Childe frowned, looking incredibly disappointed. "But Morax is geo, isn't he?" 

"Indeed." 

"That's very unfortunate," Childe sighed, holding his face in his hands. "I thought at least we could be tied together with the same element. I don't know what I'm supposed to talk about with a god." 

"Are you interested in becoming more acquainted with Morax?" Zhongli inquired, a bit surprised. 

"I'm technically his now, according to the contract, right?" Childe laughed awkwardly and scratched his cheek. "It would be weird not to become acquainted to one's master, no?" 

"Only for the duration of a year," Zhongli reminded. "You need not stay here after the time has passed." 

"He only gets a human every one hundred years," Childe stared at the sealed door. "Isn't one year too short?" 

Zhongli's eyes softened as a slight smile rested on his lips. He looked incredibly sad. "Yes, it is, but human lives are incredibly short. To ask for more than a year is quite...rude. Come along now," Zhongli stepped in front of Childe and gestured for him to follow. "I shall show you the rest of the residence."