❀𝑰 𝒍𝒊𝒌𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒊𝒅𝒆𝒂❀ (Edited)

CHAPTER TWO:

<I like the idea>

I am more tired than when I went to sleep and now I regret my decision to help my father build the tree house.

Yesterday I went to register at my old school, and then, dad kept his promise, we went to buy materials for the tree house. We spent the day making plans, deciding how we want it to look, in what colors to paint it. It was tiring, but also beautiful.

I carefully get out of bed, trying to keep my eyes open. Why do classes have to start so early? Why couldn't they start at lunch, when I am able to stand without falling?

I put on the dress chosen by my mom, even if I don't like it, and go downstairs. There, my mother was cooking breakfast, humming a song.

"Good morning." I announce my presence.

"Hey! Are you happy to go back to school?" She asks me and I try not to answer her sarcastically.

Who was ever happy to go back to school?

"You can say that if you want."

I sit down at the table, putting my head on it. I regret that I didn't want to let my father plan the tree house alone.

"Oh, come on. You'll see that when you get there and see your old friends again you can't wait to come back tomorrow." She puts two plates of food on the table and lifts my head.

Yes, that is if I make it to school and don't fall asleep on the way.

_-_-_-_

I stand in front of the school and analyze it, trying to see what things were before and what things are new. It can be seen that it has been renovated, it has an extra room, probably to separate the small children from the others, it is painted bright white, it has a new roof. It can be seen that they have started to take care of the children's education more and more.

"Come in." My mother says passing by me.

She came with me because she had something to talk to the teacher and some documents to sign. I'm not complaining that she had to come with me, I actually like the idea of having her close.

I follow her into the building and my ears are attacked by the voices of the children, who were talking to each other. I look at them and see grown up versions of my old friends. Diana, who remained as beautiful as when she was a child, was talking to a redhead I didn't recognize. Billy, Charlie and Moody are all gathered around a bench, laughing and talking so loudly that I think the windows will break if they keep it up. Jossie, Ruby, Tillie and Jane are in the middle of the class, giving me curious and judgmental looks.

Oh gosh...

I try to avoid their eyes, and follow my mother to the teacher, but Jossie comes to me, smiling in that annoying way.

"I didn't know we had a new classmate." She says and looks at me from top to bottom.

Breathe, Evelyn, breathe. That's how Jossie is and always has been, I mustn't lose my temper.

"I'm not new, Jossie."

I try to pass her, but she starts talking again.

"You're Emma's sister, aren't you? The girl who died in the fire? You're the one who left Avonlea right after the funeral." She says with confidence, as if she knows better what happened.

It annoys me when people do that. When they think they know better everything that happened in your life. And it also annoys me that she puts these labels on me and my sister. We are more than "the girl who died in the fire" and "the girl who preferred to leave town rather than stay and mourn her sister".