✯𝑰𝒕'𝒔 𝒏𝒐𝒕 𝒐𝒌𝒂𝒚✯ (Edited)

CHAPTER THREE:

<It's not okay>

After I came home from school, I helped my mother make the promised pie, and, by a miracle, I didn't set the house on fire. School was good, I talked to Anne and Diana, but that doesn't mean I can't wait to go back tomorrow. Mr. Phillips, our teacher, is kind of weird. He is extremely cold and doesn't seem to care about our education, which makes me wonder why he became a teacher. In fact, he seems to tolerate only one student, Prissy Andrews.

I take the pie from the oven and quickly put it on the table. It's not burnt! I became good at baking.

"It doesn't look bad." Mother notices when she comes and takes a look at the pie.

"I know, I'm getting good."

"Should I remind you of the burnt biscuits yesterday?" She asks and raises an eyebrow, laughing.

"That was yesterday! Today I became an expert."

"Okay, expert, go and change, we're going to the Blythe family!"

I nod and wipe my hands on a towel, then quickly go up to the room. I can't wait to see John! To tell me about all the trips he went on in these three years when I wasn't around.

_-_-_-_

I hold the basket with the pie in my hand, while my mother knocks on the door. Dad also wanted to come, but he had a lot of work and promised to come next time. So it's just the two of us.

The door opens and Gilbert appears behind her, smiling in that way that leaves any mother spellbound.

"Good evening Mrs. Flo! Evelyn." He welcomes us, looking at each of us individually when he says our names. "Come in!" He opens the door, and I waste no time and enter.

"Good evening, Gilbert!" Mother answers him and enters too. "Is John in his room?" She asks, and Gilbert nods. The mother doesn't waste any more time and goes to his room. I can swear this woman would die for this family.

I leave the pie on the kitchen table and analyze the room. It is the same as before. As soon as you enter, you find a spacious and roomy kitchen, not very decorated, but still beautiful. I remember that we all tried, me, Gilbert and Emma, to bake bread for our parents and we were all going to catch on fire. Luckily, my mother saw us and moved us away from the oven.

"Are you coming?" I hear Blythe asking and I look at him, a little annoyed that he took me out of my thoughts.

"Sure." I say and go to John's room, not waiting for him.

When I enter the room, I see a sight that I did not expect.

John, lying in bed, surrounded by medicine. What in God's name...? I look confused at my mother, who is looking down, as if she hadn't avoided telling me that John is sick.

I look at John and I didn't think I could ever see him like this. With pale, sickly skin, with dark circles under his eyes, in a messy room. He looks bad.

I still try to put a smile on my face and walk towards his bed.

"Lynn! Look at you and how much you have grown! You look like a little lady." He opens his arms, inviting me to take him in a hug.

"You don't look too bad either, my friend." I lie and take him in a hug.

"Oh, don't lie to me! We all know I look like an old man." He's laughing, and I'm glad that he still finds reasons to laugh and isn't gloomy.