❄︎Conversations without words❄︎

CHAPTER ONE: 

<Conversations without words>

It's a beautiful winter day, even if I can't feel my hands anymore because of the cold. The sun is in the sky, without really doing its job of heating the planet, if you ask me.

I get up from the cold snow and go to Anne, amused by the scene that takes place near the frozen lake. The boys at school have a small hockey match, which we should write about in the school newspaper. I don't know how, but Ruby ended up being the one entrusted with the task of writing about it, and we all know that Ruby is not very attentive to what is happening around her. The notebook ended up thrown in the snow, while Ruby's eyes ended up following a certain boy. Anne, who has a strangely beautiful passion for writing, took over the situation trying to figure from the blonde who the team captains are.

"Who are the team captains this week?" The redhead asks, ready to take notes.

"Gilbert."

"And?"

"Whoever."

Anne looks at Ruby as if she can't believe it, and I hide my smile.

"The other one is Billy." I inform her, receiving in return a sincere, relieved smile.

The girls start talking about how Diana should give poor Moody a chance, who is trying to get her attention. I decide to turn my attention to the game, my eyes finding him immediately. He flies on the ice, scoring more points than the others. How can you not look at him? It is almost impossible. Our eyes meet, giving voice to the unspoken words, the apologies we dare not say, the questions that have never been asked. Why did he leave without telling me? Why didn't he even send me a letter? Why didn't he explain anything to me? He had plenty of time.

I withdraw my gaze, not wanting to lose myself in his eyes like a fool.

He always catches me doing this because I do it far too often. Every time Mary (I will tell you about her) invites me and my parents to dinner, I spend half the time staring at Gilbert, not paying attention to the conversation.

"Isn't Ruby covering the game?"He asks Anne. My gaze turns to him, not realizing that he came to us.

"Ruby's very preoccupied." Tilie says. "With a certain someone."

Jane and Tilie giggle, causing a confused expression to appear on Gilbert's face.

I swear this boy is blind sometimes. How can he not notice that Ruby is crazy about him? The blonde's bones almost break at how much she smiles when he approaches her, and he doesn't notice. Typical boy behavior I guess.

Before returning to the match, he gives a look that I don't know what it should mean.

"He noticed me." I hear Ruby starting to speak, and I already know that all this will turn into a half-hour conversation, in which she will assure us that Gilbert is in love with her. "He looked right at me and smiled."

"You're delusional."

"Ruby Blythe." She says, as if already planning the wedding. Which she's probably doing.

I smile and roll my eyes. I have to go before Ruby starts explaining to me once again how she wants her and Blythe's wedding to be. Plus, I promised Mary that I would stay with Delphi while she will prepare dinner.

Mary and Delphine are Sebastian's wife and daughter. On the ship he worked on, Gilbert befriended Sebastian Lacroix. After so many months together, their relationship became like that of real brothers, and as Bash always wanted to have a house of his own, Gilbert proposed to share his house. Here, Sebastian met Mary, a sweet and loving woman. He immediately fell in love with her, and that's how little Delphine appeared. And Gilbert has a family to fill the house with love again. Even if I am angry with him, I am happy that he found a family.

My parents adore Bash and Mary, and Delphine is no problem. Who doesn't love a little chocolate candy that giggles non-stop? So we always visit each other, which forces me and Gilbert to interact. We are not like before he left, when we said anything to each other. Or almost anything. But we didn't completely ignore each other either. We simply co-exist.

"Are you ready?" 

You talk about the wolf and the wolf appears at the door.

I look at him confused, raising an eyebrow.

"Ready for what?"

"To walk you home."

"I think I know the way, thanks!"

I say and set off, knowing that he will follow me. He's been doing it since he came back. It doesn't matter if we don't talk, if we are at school or at home. He chooses to spend his time with me. 

He chooses conversations without words instead of ones full of many. 

He chooses silence instead of noise. 

Chooses dry conversations instead of rich ones.

And he does it again.

He matches his walk with mine, without saying anything.

What are you thinking about, Gilbert?

.

.

.

.[Author's note]:

It's been a while.

Sorry for this chapter, it's not much but I needed a kind of start of the season 3.