Maxine

Maxine felt the bile right in her throat. She heaved expecting to let it all out, but nothing happened.

"Maaaaaaxine Wheeeeeeler!" The referee announced, his arms extended out and finger pointing her way. There was a small amount of cheering in the crowd and a few boos.

She bent down and hustled into the ring, jumping around to warm herself up. The nerves were getting the best of her. It didn't matter how many fights she lost or won, every time she got into the ring her guts twisted and she felt sick. She caught her mother waving at her and Maxine instantly felt better. Her mother always gave her the courage she needed.

She moved her head around, trying to get the head gear in place. It drove her nuts, not to mention the mouth piece that made her mouth feel stretched out. Maxine sucked in some air and blinked away the nervous sweat that ran down her eyebrow.

Before she knew it the bell had run and it was action time. She circled around her opponent, hopping around with her arms up and gloves covering her face. Sara Chacon was known for being a fierce and evil fighter. She took down whoever she fought. Maxine had prepared herself to get her ass kicked today, but she wasn't going down without a fight.

Oomph!

She felt the air constrict as Sara took a jab at her ribs. The mouthpiece muffled her cry and it came out more like a groan.

Oomph!

There was another to the exact same spot and another right in the stomach and then one right in the face. Maxine saw blurry for a minute then shook her head to gain her vision back. She sucked in air and tried to ignore the pain that was radiating through her lower body and threw a punch; smacking Sara right in the jaw. The mean looking woman stumbled back and Maxine took advantage and returned the jabs she'd been given.

In no time Maxine had taken over the fight and Sara looked like she might just pass out. She felt invincible throwing punch after punch. She stopped when she saw the half dead look on her opponents face, her eyes suddenly crossed and she wend down slamming into the mat.

The referee counted down. The bell rang.

Maxine was so tired she fought the urge to let herself go down alongside Sara. Within seconds her mom was by her side and they celebrated their victory. She hugged her mother tight, that was the person who kept her inspired and gave her the courage and strength to get through each fight, whether she won or not. .

Kristine Wheeler didn't just play proud mom to Maxine, but she was now her daughter's manager and agent. They had moved to California a few months ago looking for a better life, but so far it was proving to be a hard task. They lived off whatever Maxine made from working at the Café and her mother wasn't having any luck with finding a job. So, she found her daughter fights to survive.

"You were amazing out there!" Kristine exclaimed as they walked down Highland Boulevard in Hollywood. They couldn't afford an apartment yet, so they stayed at a local motel that rented out rooms by the week.

"Thanks mom. Hey we should take the shortcut." She insisted feeling tired and wanting to get home fast to take a warm shower and sleep.

Kristine let out a defeated sigh, "Fine, let's go."

Maxine knew the alley very well by now, she passed by it every afternoon from work. There were usually a lot of people and during the evening there was some light that hit the rundown alley. Tonight it was a bit darker and for a split second she thought twice about it.

The twosome were talking and laughing as they made it through the alley. As they got to the end three men stepped out of the shadows and got in their way. The two women stood close together trying to pass them by, but they just surrounded them.