Let Down

This morning had been a drag to get out of bed for Maxine. Sleep hadn't come easy last night with everything that had happened that day. She pulled her hair up in a ponytail, pulled on some running pants and shoes and headed out to wake up Nick. Quietly she made way up the stairs Turbo right behind her.

She was surprised at the mess that was scattered all over the place. Clothes, shoes, CDs and on the nightstand there was white powder all over the place. Hesitantly she swiped her finger over the nightstand and stared at her finger. She'd seen it in movies, the way people tested if something was coke. Taking a deep breath she placed the tip of her finger to her tongue and made a face. Quickly she tried wiping the bitter taste on her tongue onto her shirt, but the bitterness turned to numbness.

"Gross!" She stated angrily. 

She walked over to the bathroom. Dumped the fake flowers in a vase and filled it with water. Then proceeded to walk over to where the mysterious brunette was laying. Angrily she thrusted the vase forward and all the water splashed onto the bed and brunette. With a loud gasp she sat up disoriented.

"What the fuck, bitch?" She rubbed at her eyes.

"It's time to check out. You have to go." Maxine looked at her sternly, but deep down she was afraid the woman would act out. It wasn't even her place to kick her out. "Let's go...does it look like I'm playing around."

She laid back down and gave Maxine the finger. "Fuck you! I'm not leaving unless Nick tells me I have to. Who the fuck are you anyway?"

"I'm his roommate and I don't appreciate you bringing bad habits into this house."

The woman sat back up and laughed. "Do you know who you are talking about? This is Nick Carter. He's a rundown fighter, who is worth shit. The only thing he can do well is break peoples faces in and he's a good fuck."

Maxine was disgusted by the half naked woman and she wanted her out of the house. Mostly, she wanted to punch her in the face. "I'm going to give you five minutes to pick up your shit. If you aren't gone by then...that dog over there is going to chew your ass up."

"Whatever! I don't need this drama." She threw the blankets off herself and walked around picking up her articles of clothes. "You're wasting your time trying to fix him." With that said she rushed down the stairs and slammed the front door.

"Come on Turbo. We'll let him sleep it off." They both headed down the stairs and out the sliding doors to jog in the foggy morning.

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later on that day Maxine busied herself punching out the punching man that Nick had bought. Her hair was sticking to her sweaty forehead and her breathing was elevated as she let out all her anger on the rubber man. All she could think about was her mother and how she had declined to visit her today. Why waste the time to go see her laying there like a dead body?

The tears began to fall as she realized that maybe her mother was never going to wake up. If that was the case she was all alone. Even if Howie had come into the picture She understood that he had his family and they came first, she was just a big nuisance. Not just for Howie, but also for Nick. Who was she to be chasing out women he liked in his bed? Why did she bother trying to fix him, anyway?

She stopped and sniffed back what was left of her tears and wiped away the ones on her face. It made her mad to cry. She never did.

"Hi."

Her heart leaped into her throat when she heard his voice and quickly she tried to compose herself. Speaking of the devil. Nick stood in the doorway in his usual ensemble; bare feet, running shorts hanging low and no shirt. She didn't like the feelings that were suddenly stirring up inside of her. The way her stomach flipped when she caught sight of him or the way her heart beat rose when her eyes met with his. It was stupid and childish.