Dilemmas

Maxine threw her bag under the desk in the backroom and pulled her hair up into a ponytail. She was slightly annoyed to be called in early to work when she'd been scheduled later that evening. It had been awful to leave half naked Nick in her bed to come to work.

"Morning Mr. Sm—" She stopped when she found herself face to face with Derek. "Where is your dad?"

He had to go to a meeting so he left me in charge. I hope you don't mind having to work with me?" He smiled.

She rolled her eyes. "Whatever!"

"What's your problem?"

"You! I thought you were a nice guy and all this time you were just trying to get into my pants, whether I'm willing or not."

"Oh shit. Is this still about the ecstasy? Max, you took that shit because you wanted to. I didn't force it down your throat and I didn't do a damn thing to you that night, either." Derek's eyebrows were creased in anger.

"Fine, let's just forget that and put it behind us." She threw her hands up in defeat and started to punch her badge number into the computer. When she turned around Derek was suddenly really close to her. "What are you doing?"

He didn't say anything as he snaked his arm around her waist and aggressively pulled her towards him. "I don't like you accusing me of shit I didn't do."

"You're freaking me out Derek. Let me go!" Maxine struggled to pull away from him. Instead he tightened his arm around her.

"I was actually being a very nice guy. Even so, you preferred to hang out with the loser. What does he have that I don't?"

Maxine didn't give up on her struggle to break free from his oxygen depriving grip. She pulled her leg back and kicked forward as hard as she could making her knee connect with his package. He instantly let her go and folded over in pain. His face was red and he held on to his crotch.

"You bitch! You're fucking fired! You tell Nick Carter that I'm going to get him and YOU!"

Maxine ripped off the badge from her shirt and threw it at him. She snatched her bag and stormed out of the hotel. Her hands and legs were shaking as she trudged through the sand back to Nick's house. She wanted to calm down before she even saw him. There was no way she would tell him what had just happened. She had to concentrate on keeping him out of trouble; at least till the fight was over.

She opened the sliding door quietly making it to the kitchen. Turbo was no where to be found and neither was Nick. Maxine was relieved; it gave her a bit of time to calm down. She took a bottle of water and slowly sipped on it, remembering how furious Derek looked. She wondered if he would really try anything else. 

She heard the front door open and a few seconds later into the kitchen walked Nick and Turbo. Turbo quickly made way over to her and licked her hand. He took a seat and stared at Nick along with Maxine who smiled shyly at him. He grinned wide and she knew right away that he was remembering their encounter last night, which only made her blush more.

Nick took a chance and walked up to her wrapping his arms around her waist he pulled her close. She looked up at him and smiled.

"Are you alright? You feel shaky."

"I'm fine. I just got fired...after three days of working at the hotel. I get fired!" She faked a laugh.

"Who needs to work anyway?" Nick snickered.

Maxine smacked him playfully. "That's easy for you to say, you get paid to kick ass. I feel bad just being here doing nothing."

He pulled her even closer and planted a kiss on her neck, moving his lips slowly down her collarbone. "I know plenty of things we can do."