Fireworks

The next morning Maxine woke up to find a Christmas tree near the sliding doors. It was decorated in silver and red colors and it lit up the whole living room. The sight brought a smile to her face. Then it disappeared when she realized that her mother wouldn't be around to celebrate with her. There was a strong pang in the pit of her stomach with just the thought.

"We decorated it last night after you went to bed." Baylee stood next to her looking up at the huge tree.

"It's beautiful." She smiled at him. "Thank you!"

"Uncle Nick hasn't put up a tree in a while. He hides from all of us. I'm glad he didn't last night and he doesn't look sick anymore."

"No he doesn't." She agreed and they both continued to watch as the lights danced around the tree. Their moment was interrupted by the phone ringing. Maxine ran off to answer.

"Hello."

"Hey, Max. It's...uh...Howie." Howie always sounded nervous when he spoke to her. She imagined him trying to think of things to say or what to call her or himself.

"Hi. How are you?"

"I'm great. How about you? Have you gone to see your mother?"

She bit on her lip and remembered skipping the visits two days in a row. "Actually, I haven't gone. I'm definitely going today though. I just feel horrible walking in there and seeing no changes. I want her to open her eyes and smile at me."

"I know, Max..." He contemplated telling her the truth. She would stop suffering. "Let's hope she comes around."

"Yeah. So, what are you and your family doing tonight?"

He stuttered a bit. "Uh...I...we are just going to be home. My wife—"

"Leigh..."

"You know my wife's name?" He questioned a little shocked.

Maxine laughed out loud. "I did get introduced to her. Plus, I have a good memory. I understand if your memory is a little fuzzy...you're in your forties, right?"

"Excuse me! I am not."

They both laughed. Then the line went silent.

Maxine broke the silence. "So I applied for a job down on the pier. I'm waiting to hear from the manager...it's at a hotel. Oh, I also met a guy."

"What? You met a guy? What kind of guy?" Howie interrogated showing his paternal side.

"He's the owner's son, seems really nice. We already went on a date the other night and he was a total gentleman."

"You went on a date?" Howie felt like he might have a heart attack. "What...what is Nick up to? Isn't he watching after you?"

She laughed again. "Oh, come on Howie...I'm not fifteen anymore. I can take care of myself. I do appreciate you worrying. It's cute!"

Howie sighed. He wondered if it would always be awkward to talk to his daughter. "Well, I gotta go kiddo. I do really worry about you..."

"Thanks. Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas."

She slowly hung up the phone and sighed heavily. The doorbell rang and she raced Baylee to open the door. There stood Derek all smiles with a flower in his hand. Maxine blushed instantly.

"Hi. I thought I would come and thank you for yesterday." He handed the daisy over to Maxine.

"Thank you. It's beautiful. Would you like to come in?" She opened the door wider.