1.

The sound of laughter, loud music and clinking glass fills my ears, the joyous mood of the room instantly lifts my spirits.
So what I left the house mid fight with my boyfriend?
Already his whaling voice fades from my mind.... Make up sex is supposed to be good anyway, right?
Tomorrow I'll make it up to him, but tonight I'm stubbornly going to enjoy my girls night out. I may even act like the whore he accused me of being...... act yes, but if nothing else, I'm loyal to the bone.
So act is all I'll do.

Myles has always been the jealous type, possessive, but in a good way. And I get it, he's busy all the time, so I understand why he gets pissed when I make plans on the occasions we do get time to spend together.
As a surgeon he should have known better than to punch a wall... and no, I absolutely do not feel guilty seeing his bloodied knuckles as I closed the door behind me.
That's on him, its only a birthday party for fucks sake.
As a psychiatrist, he should have known better than to use guilt as a tool to manipulate me. I'm trained to handle situations like that.

I scan the room, Friday nights are busy at The Blue Door, it seems these women never get tired of overpriced and oversized tiki themed cocktails.
The room smells like a cauldron brimming with clashing scents of expensive perfume and unreleased sexual tension.... give me a sofa, a bottle of wine, and a quiet fireplace any night.

"Lucy! Lucy, over here!"

The sound of my name diverts my attention from the crowed dance floor to a round booth under the windows in the back. Overhead theres a neon light glowing bright with pinks and oranges, it thows off unnatural shades onto the myriad of skin tones that make up my best friends..
I see my girl squad all waving their arms like excited parents after that first day of school.
I know its been weeks since I left the house, but seriously, calm down.

I squeeze my way through crowds of laughing females and Hawaiian-shirt clad men, trying their hardest to deliver smooth pick up lines.
This scene makes me praise the lord I'm no longer single, even fighting with Myles is better than awkward flirting with strangers.

"Oh my Lord?! That hair!" Thea greets me with a squeal.
"What about it? You hate it, dont you?!" I instantly worry.

It's not like I'm already self conscious about it.

"You said it's blonde, but girl.... its blonde!" She reiterates.
"Myles likes it, says blondes have more fun" I shrug and take my seat hoping everyone else will stop staring.
"Well? Are you?" Thea checks, more quietly now so only we can hear.
"It's only been a week, time will tell" I shake my head and pout like a spoiled child.
"Well I hope he likes it, personally, I find your natural, shiny red locks sexy as hell"
Thea kisses my cheek with a cheeky wink. She strokes my long waist length tresses that are for once sleek and straight.

Thea is my bestest friend, she has been since we were six and she's always been my most fiersest defender.
Also, Myles least favourite fan. She hates that he delfates my self-esteem.
She just doesn't understand that when it's good, it's good.

"So what prompted this abrubt change in appearance, you going on the run?" Kallie asks me from across the table, she's one of six ladies I call family and boyfriend refusal or not, I was not going to miss her birthday.

"Its best not to rule anything out" I smile brightly and hand over a small paper gift bag. "Happy birthday, Lady"
"Oh, you devil! We all agreed no presents this year. I'm too old for that now" says the youngest at the table.
I move my eyes across the table to notice not one of us actually agreed on that rule.
I smile brighter.

"Oh, I adore it!" Kallie beams twisting her wrist already wearing the delicate white gold bracelet with a dangling K from the clasp.

Kallie is long term single, hence no lover to shower her with pretty jewels. No matter though, she has me for that. Rumours are she has battery operated objects for everything else.
Outward appearances say Kallie is one hundred percent happily single.
I can't relate, I'm terrible at being single, I only knew Myles two days before we made it official.