11.

When did HBO get so bad?
Lucky for me Luna is great company, she loves to cuddle and sleep. We could be kindred spirits.

I think it's been six hours, or six and a half episodes of a True blood marathon, fifth season. His conference was supposedly an hour away. I'm not going to be that girl, but he said he'd check in.

Maybe he has, maybe checking in only meant watching me, not saying hey?
But that's just rude.

Night has fallen so I go to fill the tub, my only other source of entertainment. The washing basket has a box on top, Luna's litter box and food bowl inside, she sits regally on the sink while she watches me set up her things.
She has an expression that if were words I'm sure would explain how I'm doing it all wrong. Her eyes look like she's lived a thousand lives, and she watches my every move.

"My old cat, Tabby. She was a rescue, not impeccably bred like you, she had one eye blue and one eye black. She was more than a little crazy, you had to really watch your toes around her, you'd never know when she would strike. A class one toe bandit" I explain to Luna. "I'm pretty sure she's living her first life, she was six when we found her.... I guess she'd be nine by now. I bet you're no more than two years old right now, am I right?"

She doesn't answer but lifts one paw to groom herself like I'm boring her with my life.
I sink into the bubbles and Luna decides to take up my place on the edge of the tub, keeping her close proximity.

"What about you? What's your story?" I ask but she just tilts her head. "I bet we have heaps in common, we're both strictly inside cats according to Rome..... I bet you'd love to climb a tree, chase a rabbit" I laugh. "You like Rome? Does he treat you right?" I ask with a sigh. "You look well fed, clean. He takes care of you huh?" I reach out with bubbles on my fingers and still she lets me scratch her head. "You're not going to spill his secrets, are you?"

A light flashes like a flashlight across the glass door and I freeze, Luna's hackles rise and her back arches.
My heart skips three whole beats.
Thunder booms, rattling the windows and doors, Luna bolts across the room to hide under the bed.
I exhale in relief, not a murdering rapist psycho ex boyfriend, just a thunderstorm.
Just a harmless thunderstorm in a spooky dungeon basement I can't escape.

"It's okay Luna, it's just lights and noise. It can't hurt you" I tell the luminous eyes peering out at me.
She yowls her disagreement.

Another flash, another boom, rain starts to fall, slapping against the glass windows and runs like a river against the old glass French doors. A puddle builds up underneath, pooling on the tiles.

I guess that means bath time is over.

I reach my towel as another lighting strike flashes across the door, thunder cracks immediately after, then the lights go out.

Fucking great.

With whatever luck I have left in life there's candles and a box of matches Rome left for my bubble baths.
My trembling fingers snap three matchsticks before I manage to strike one, with the light of the flame, some visibility returns.
Wide green eyes are closer than I expect and I let out a scream of fright.

No loud noises, no loud noises.

I wait for the reprimand through the intercom but only silence and heavy rainfall remains.
Wait!
No power, no intercom.

No checking in.

"God, Luna.... you scared me half to death" I laugh weakly and pet her elegant back.
She meows and arches her back to meet my hand.