Chapter Twenty-Seven | Leaving Twelve

Two days passed, and Orion was finally strong enough to be able to leave Twelve. Quinn knew he probably would have been better off after another day or two, but she couldn't say that. Not when they were so close to Thirteen. She didn't want to delay them anymore, besides that, it would be easy for them to get out. Gale made sure the fences were still off, Orion kept his eye on the map. The other yellow dot, the one that had been Jules and Marcus had disappeared-- Orion said it was because they were probably in Thirteen and the map was stored with the other ones. So getting ready to leave was easy, they just had to get their backpacks together, and be ready as soon as the sun went down.

"They're probably waiting for us, Orion." Hannah stated from her chair at the kitchen table. "The Capitol wouldn't let us get to Thirteen that easily."

"We have to take that chance. We can't stay here." he replied. Hannah had made it very clear that she didn't like that they had just been allowed to stay in Twelve. Even the fences had been left off, she didn't understand why it would be that easy to get out of the District. "We'd be putting everyone in the District in danger if we stayed any longer."

Later that night, after the younger kids hanging to sleep, Gale and Hazelle stayed up to say goodbye to the three of them. Hannah had become relatively close with Hazelle, so it was mainly her that Quinn and Orion had to wait for.

"You'll be in the Reaping this year, won't you?" Quinn asked quietly, looking up at Gale. "How many times?" she added when he nodded to her first question.

"Too many," he replied.

"Be careful, okay? If you're chosen, I mean." she replied. Although the odds of someone from Twelve winning were next to none. Their mentor, Haymitch Abernathy wasn't too much help according to Finnick.

"I won't get chosen," Gale replied. Trying to assure himself more than her.

"We should get going," Orion cut into the conversations between Gale and Quinn, and Hannah and Hazelle.

"Thanks again, Hazelle for all the help." Hannah said giving Hazelle a really quick hug.

"It was a pleasure," she replied. "If you need to come back for any reason, you're welcome here."

"Thank you," Hannah smiled as she turned and walked towards the door where Orion was.

Quinn sighed and quickly gave Gale a hug. "Remember what I said, okay? Thirteen isn't that far away." she stated quietly and then turned towards the other two.

She and Gale had talked about the possibility of Gale being able to get his family to Thirteen. According to Orion, they were always watching for people to get there in Thirteen. She knew Gale would be able to make it, he hunted outside the fences all the time. He would be able to make it there. In complete honesty, if Gale was chosen at the reaping...she would be angry. Gale was too good of a person to be in the games.

The three of them hurried out of the house, leaving the Hawthornes behind them. The fence wasn't far from there, which meant Thirteen wasn't far. Hannah had taken Orion's backpack, and Quinn still had her own. Quinn could feel her heart pounding in her chest, they were so close to Thirteen. After the horrible luck they had so far, Quinn couldn't help but preparing herself for the worst possible outcome.