Chapter Five | The Tables Have Turned

Her brain had been swimming with ideas of just how she could help Katniss. The one she decided to try to use was one that Orion had suggested, it would be easier said than done. But it would be easier than sponsoring, but it would also make it practically impossible for her to see Annie or Finnick like she had hoped to. Hell, it would probably make them hate her.

"I never thought you would be the one to ask to see me, Ms. Maverick." President Snow stated as he walked through the office. "Or did Orion put you up to it? Tell you what to say perhaps? He seemed better with words during yesterday's interview."

"I'm not good in interviews, you should remember that." Quinn replied, stopping herself there even though she knew she could have talked about a few specific moments that he should have remembered clearly already. "But I got to thinking, you want me to convince people I'm not fighting anything anymore." she said after a moment of awkward silence between the two of them.

Snow looked her over.

"What if you put me in the game making room? Maybe to just observe-- but everyone else in Panem--"

"Ms. Maverick, not just anyone can be a game maker."

Quinn sighed, "Then just let me observe. Give people the idea I am a part of the games."

Snow stared at her, his eyes were full of hesitation. "You haven't exactly proven yourself trust worthy, how do I know you would try something?"

"I'd be surrounded by game makers, and besides that you know about my family in Thirteen." she said, as the words left her lips she regretted using her family against herself. "I wouldn't be able to do anything."

President Snow sat back in his chair, thinking through Quinn's suggestion.

"President Snow, I'm not good with words." Quinn stated, "If people think I'm becoming a game maker-- they won't do what I do."

"You make a fair point, Ms. Maverick." he stated, "But asking me to do this-- it's an extreme change and could throw us deeper into our little problem."

"It's not a little problem, you don't have much of a choice." Quinn sighed, her palms beginning to get sweaty. "I did what you asked of me, I came to the Capitol to help you. I went on with Ceasar. I think I've earned enough t-"

"Don't patronise me, Ms. Maverick." Snow ordered sternly. "You did as I asked to save your own skin."

Quinn remained quiet, her fingers messing with the hem on her dress. She could feel it in her stomach.

He knows, she thought. He knows I'm here to help the rebels...that was the only thought running through his head. She had asked for this too soon. She should have waited until two days into training. But this was her last chance to help Katniss before the arena, private sessions were in one day.

"I'll let you observe the private sessions tomorrow and be part of the scoring process." he stated but then leaning forward over his desk. "Then, you will assist in controlling the arena. You will be in charge of twenty-three canons. I will keep in touch with Seneca, and if your doing everything as you should be, we won't have any problems. But,"

Quinn could feel her stomach beginning to twist.

"If Seneca Crane reports that you aren't doing a very satisfying job, you won't be the only one that I will have to deal with." his voice was more threatening than it ever had been before. Quinn couldn't say anything, if she did she would probably end up saying something to get not only her, but Otto, Hadely, Finnick, and Orion were all only a few of the people she had to worry about now.