IX

October 17, 2000

Marshall's POV: Sitting down on the couch I scrolled through the TV channels looking for something to find. I heard the phone ring and got up grabbing it seeing it was Proof. "Yo!"

"Happy birthday mother fucker! How you feelin?"

"I'm feeling alright. Feeling old as shit. Weird to think I'm finally 28. I'll be 30 in two years." I chuckled.

"Yeah, but you ain't too old to party! Let's go do something with the boys. Maybe chill at the club." He replied.

I sighed, "I ain't really tryna go to the club. Maybe just chill at the studio and smoke."

"Alright, then we can do that. Want me to pick you up in an hour? The boys can meet us there."

"Yeah, that works for me. I'll get ready. See ya soon."

"Aight bye Em!"

I ended the call and sighed going upstairs to get ready. I pulled on some black sweats, a black durag with a black shirt, and some Air Jordan's. I sat on the couch and waited for Proof. Once I heard him pull up I grabbed my keys and walked out to his car. He got out and smiled, dabbing me up. "Happy birthday!"

"Aye thanks man, I appreciate it." I smiled and dabbed him back. I got inside and he began driving us to the studio. "Who's coming to the studio?"

"Porter, Kuniva, Biz, Royce, Dre, and you and me. That's pretty much it." He replied driving.

"Damn didn't know Dre was comin! How long he stayin' in town?"

"I think he leaves later tonight around 10. So we have some time to just chill."

I nodded and leaned back looking out the window. "How's the family?"

"They doin' good! Sharonda is doing good as well. They wished you a happy birthday. Nassan wants you to come and see him." Proof chuckled.

I smiled, "I'll come and see him. I miss the kids. We all need to have a family day sometime."

"Yeah, the kids would enjoy hanging out and playing with Hailie and Lanie. How are the girls doing?" He asked.

"They're doing alright. A lot has been going on with me and Kim since were divorcing. It's been a long road. I know they are hurt and worried about losing their mom. But they won't, I just know me and Kim can't make it work right now. It just ain't happenin. I can't trust that bitch! She was actin' like a whore and got caught." I spat. "She fuckin kissed him!"

"I know, but you gotta be strong for your kids. Don't make it even worse for them Em. The girls need their dad. They don't need any more fighting. Try to be the best dad you can be. That's all that matters." Proof replied and patted my shoulder gently.

I sighed and looked at him, "You're right, I'm sorry dude. I just... it gets me so angry sometimes! I can't let this shit go. I have been holding everything in I guess. I know this isn't the kid's fault. I want the best for them. I'm sorry."

"It's all good bro, I get it. Shit happens and it gets tough. I got your back." He smiled.

We arrived to the studio and went inside seeing everyone chilling and sitting on the couch. Andre smiled and stood up, "There is the birthday boy! Happy birthday!"

Whoops and claps filled the room as I entered. I chuckled and rolled my eyes dabbing my boys up. I dabbed Dre up and hugged him, "Man I didn't know you were in town! When did you get in?"

Andre chuckled, "I got in yesterday around 10 Am. I wanted to surprise you for your birthday. That's why we're all here bro!"

I chuckled, "Well thanks for coming into town. It's good to see you." I smiled and grabbed a beer sitting down. Kuniva began rolling a blunt and then passed it out around the group. It came to me and I took it, inhaling and exhaling out the smoke. I leaned back and sighed feeling relaxed. I've had so much on my mind, getting some alone time with the boys is helping.