XIX

December 23, 2000
6 PM
Saturday
Marshall's POV: We're getting close to Hailie's birthday and I'm overjoyed to be celebrating with my girls. I didn't think about including Kim but yet again, she's the mother of my child. And since we're living together, we can at least try to get along for Hailie's birthday. The last few days had been a bit tough, since I had found out Sean was not putting me on his album. I was furious! He can't just do that, I worked hard on that song with him and he can at least put it on there and give credit. But, he wants to remove it from the album. He's playing with fire. Me and Giselle have been calling each other on and off, and I was disappointed she couldn't make it for Christmas. But we both had decided that she would come down to Detroit for New Year's Eve to celebrate with me and the boys. I just don't know how I was going to tell her about the 'Kim living with me,' situation. I know she'll be upset. But she doesn't understand what I have to do to keep my family from falling apart even more. I do this for my kids. No one else. But she's too young to comprehend what I'm going through.

I stood in the kitchen doing dishes as the girl played in the living room. Kim had been wrapping presents for the girls upstairs for a while and left me alone to clean. I tried to not be around her much, but we live in the same house; no way to avoid her. I peeked into the living room seeing Hailie and Alaina coloring pictures. I smiled and continued to clean. I heard footsteps come from behind me and Kim leaned in the doorway, arms crossed. "I finished wrapping presents. Do you think you could help me hide them from the girls?" she whispered.

"Yeah, I'll be up in a minute," I whispered back and watched her head back upstairs. I put dishes in the dishwasher and began running it, heading up to the spare bedroom. She sat on the bed putting away wrapping paper and tape. "Thanks for wrapping the presents. You know I'm not too good at that stuff." I chuckled.

"Oh don't worry, I know." She let out a small giggle. "How about we hide them in the closet?" She picked up a few presents and I nodded heading to open up the closet. I helped her place presents inside, trying to hide them deep inside from the girls. They were always sneaky around this time, getting excited for the celebrations. We finished up and I shut the closet door letting out a small sigh.

"Are you ok?" She asked placing her hand on my lower back. I moved away from her touch and nodded,

"Yeah, I'm just gonna get ready to head to bed. I put dinner in the microwave for you. I'll put the girls to bed after I shower." I replied leaving the room quickly. I went into my room and shut the door. I headed into the shower to get ready for bed. Once I finished in the shower I got dressed, pulling on sweatpants and a white T-shirt. I headed downstairs and went into the living room seeing the girls weren't there.

"I already put them to bed," Kim spoke as she entered the living room. I turned to her and nodded, then looked down to see she was holding something in her right hand. My phone. Why does she have my phone?

"Yo, why you got my phone?" I asked walking towards her. She put her arms behind her back holding my phone still. She glared at me backing away.

"Who's Giselle?" She asked looking me up and down. "Some whore your fuckin?" She snapped at me. I lunged towards her grabbing at her arms, trying to pull them in front of her so I could grab my phone. She tried to pull away but I was too strong for her. I pulled it from her hands and she began grabbing at my arms, digging her fingernails into my skin.

"Fuck! God damnit Kim!" I spat and pushed her onto the couch. She hit the couch hard and tried to get back up but I held her down.

"Tell me who it is Marshall!!"

"Bitch you better not wake the damn kids up!" I shushed her.

"Tell me who that bitch is! Who is Giselle?!" She yelled even louder. I placed my hand on her mouth shushing her.