Ch. 6 - Why

Warning- swearing, smut

~~~~~~~

Ransom called a passing waitress by the bar, "Hey, we'll take an extra bowl."

"Sure."

Soft music played in the background of the small diner that Ransom had driven you and Marta to. It was low key and cozy, so it was the perfect place to have a conversation about what was going on without interruptions.

Marta looked ghostly pale, and you understood why. You tapped her shoulder gently, gaining her attention. "You look like you're going to pass out, Marta. Have you eaten anything today?"

Ransom put a plate of food in front of her and said, "Eat."

Marta shakenly picked up a spoon and dove into the food, "This is a nightmare."

Ransom and you hummed in agreement.

"So, why?"

She inhaled in disbelief, still eating. "Why?"

"Why?"

She took some more bites, and Ransom leaned forward impatiently. "Hey, this is everything. There's gotta be a bigger reason why, and you know it."

"Well how about it had to do more with your family than with y/n and I?" Marta snapped.

She had a point. Harlan was always tired of the rest of his family taking advantage of him.

"Yeah. Yeah, it's the only thing that makes sense," he agreed.

The waitress placed an empty bowl onto the table, you thanked her and she left.

"Did he tell you anything?" Marta asked.

Ransom smiled. "Only that I wasn't getting a cent."

"That's because he wanted you to build something from the ground up like your mom."

""Build something from the ground up." Yeah, my mother built her business from the ground up with a million dollar loan from my grandfather. My father owns none of it, she made him sign a prenup. He lives in fear. And I know that's what my grandfather was trying to protect me from by doing this and I know I shouldn't say this out loud, but when he told me, I..." Ransom shook his head. "Jesus. I coulda killed him."

There was a moment of silence. Of course he shouldn't have said anything like that out loud. His grandfather's case was being investigated for murder.

"After y/n and I left the party though, and I dropped her off at my house, I was driving. Nowhere, just in the night, and I had this um... clarity. Like, from here on out, I was gonna have to fend for myself. And that felt... good. The old bastard."

Listening to Ransom speak gave you hope. Hope that he would become a man and a proper husband to you. This convinced you that Ransom was completely innocent. You felt guilty about being suspicious of him in the first place.

"Marta, I know three things. One... I know he didn't commit suicide."

What? How did he know that?

You looked at Ransom, and was met by nothing. He just looked at Marta and grabbed your hand from under the table.

"What makes you think that?"

He smirked. "I don't think it. I know it. Because I knew my granddad. Maybe we were the only three people who knew him, so you're not gonna bullshit me on this because two... I know lying makes you puke. 'Cause of that Mafia game last Fourth of July" He clicked his tongue, "And three... I know you just ate a full plate of baked beans and sausage."