Ch. 8 - It's Finished

Warnings- swearing, smut

~~~~~~~

After a couple minutes of shocked silence, Trooper Wagner dragged Walt upstairs where Marta and Blanc went. He tried resisting, but it ended up being futile. The family was questioning why he was brought up, but you immediately knew.

It was Walt all along. It wasn't confirmed by the authorities yet, but you knew it was him. You had a bad feeling about the man ever since you met him, and after you heard he threatened Marta, it was set in your mind that he had something to do with Harlan's death.

And when the officers came down the stairs, Walt in handcuffs, it wasn't a surprise to you.

Blanc explained the situation to you and the rest of the family. Walt did kill Harlan by messing with his medications, that Marta got switched up too, and Harlan slit his throat when he didn't need to. He also murdered Fran, Harlan's housekeeper.

His motive was to get the publishing company back, which you thought was stupid, because why would he go after Marta? She doesn't have the publishing company. You did.

Then he went further to say that he didn't go after me for two reasons; one being that I worked for the DHS and it would be much more noticeable and much more of a problem if I "went missing" all of a sudden. And two, Harlan told Walt everything like he did Ransom, but he only told him of Marta getting Harlan's whole fortune and not the tiny detail that I was getting Blood Like Wine in his will. So to Walt's knowledge, Marta was getting everything when that wasn't the case. That's why he went after her.

Perhaps that was why he was staring you down at the party. You remembered him being a little drunk that night, and all of you knew that once he's had a few drinks, he tended to start arguing with Harlan about the Publishing Company. They probably were fighting before you and Ransom arrived, and that's when Harlan told Walt about his will.

The family was all outside as Walt was shoved into the back of a police cruiser. It was all... surreal almost. It was all over, but how would this affect your lives?

Marta came in front of you and Ransom. "Thank you guys for your help. I'm glad Walter's gone."

Ransom nodded in agreement. "Us too, I'm sure. What will you do with all the money? And the house?"

Marta looked up at the mansion behind her and said, "I'm going to keep it all."

"You deserve it, Marta," you said, glancing up at Ransom. "I think we're going to cut ourselves off from the family completely. I'll keep the publishing company, and continue writing like Harlan wanted me to, but we're done with the Thrombeys."

"That's great, y/n!" Marta hugged you, and then shook Ransom's hand.

You gave her your business card. "Here, you and your family shouldn't have any trouble from now on, but just in case. Let me know how your appointment goes next Thursday, okay?"

"I will. Thank you, y/n."

You all permanent goodbyes, and you and Ransom got inside the Beemer. Walter was already in the back of the police cruiser, cursing. You didn't pay him any mind.

You two sat in silence for a couple minutes. The craziness of everything sinking in.

Out of the windshield, you spotted Marta on the balcony, sipping a cup of coffee over the family. She covered the rest of the print on her mug, but the only words that were visible said, "My house." You bet the family was pissed at her, especially Linda and Richard, who wanted the house.

"I'm not going to question anything else in that house. I want to be done with your family."

"Me too. I-"