Chapter One-Finding Simia

Rome was a gorgeous city, especially at night. The electric lights from the old buildings were dancing over the river: Deimos could have sworn he heard the river laughing carelessly, as if there was nothing bad in the world. He was sitting quietly by the river, watching the people pass by in their hurry to return home.

Why were they so oblivious? He had thought that his decision would be something momentous, something life changing. But then he hadn't begun to act on it yet. He still needed a partner.

Deimos got to his feet and began to walk towards the zoo. Something seemed to be pulling him there. It was destiny, he thought. He had always thought that he was meant for something more than just the guardian of the miraculous box. The world would be better with him in control.

"Hey, buddy! Long time no see!" 

Deimos turned at the zoo gates to see that a familiar-looking boy had appeared at his side. He looked to be a couple of years younger than him, and it seemed like he was hyped up on enough sugar to kill a water buffalo. His hand gestures were all over the place.

"Go away."

"You don't remember me?" the boy asked. "Of course you don't, it's been years. Oh look, a butterfly!" Deimos followed his gaze. He had to admit, the butterfly was pretty.

"I don't know who you are."

"It's Jasper," he replied, looking slightly affronted. "Your best friend! We used to paint Rome red whenever we hung out. Ah, those were the good days." 

Deimos remembered Jasper: they had been like brothers, before training had taken over all of his time. He remembered Jasper as being a few inches taller than him, however. Ah, well. They had both changed then.

"Delightful to see you again." Deimos sneered.

"Isn't it?" Jasper responded excitedly, completely missing his sarcasm. "Aw, I love that monkey, he's so cute!" Deimos opened his mouth to tell him to leave him alone again, when a thought occurred to him. 

They had been brothers in the past. Maybe, just maybe, they could be brothers again.

"Hey, Jas," he mused, using the old nickname. "How do you feel about ruling the world?"