CHAPTER 36: One Day At A Time

LEONA

I can't believe I've been shot. I felt terrible and a bit embarrassed that I didn't shoot anyone or even graze them. I have probably embarrassed Nolton.

This pain is neverending and so fucking excruciating. We have not yet been able to stop the bleeding and we all have been shoved into a car and are speeding off somewhere I have no clue.

Brett and Marlie are in the mide seat of the excursion we are in and I notice for brief moments that the driver and guy in the passenger seat looked familiar and realized that it was Nolton's men. But that's impossible since they were killed.

I am right now laying in the very back seat with my head on Nolton's lap as he tries to put pressure onto my wound with some type of cloth and has blood all over his shirt and hands.

"Hey baby." He says choked up a little and smiles at me as he fights back tears.

"I'm sorry." I begin tearing up.

"No, I'm sorry. You have nothing to be sorry about." He begins to tell me as he gently strokes my hair.

"But I didn't help. I should have at least shot somebody." I began telling him.

"Leona, you did great. I'm sorry that I didn't protect you enough." He says through sniffles.

"I'm really cold." I tell him.

"Here." Says then quickly grabs a jacket from in the trunk and then places it over me. "You're gonna be alright baby. I promise."

"I love you." I tell him.

"I love you too. You know you and I, we're gonna heal and then start a new life somewhere. Create a brand new life together. I'm gonna take care of you." He struggles to.say the last part.

Meanwhile, as I begin feeling dizzy and can barely hear his voice anymore, I roll my eyes in the back of my head before next seeing nothing but darkness.....

************************************
The Next Day

When I woke up, I slowly opened up my eyes and saw right next to me was Nolton.

He was sound asleep, on his side facing me and right away I smiled.

I tried to sit up in bed and wake myself up a little bit and when I sat up though, I winced in pain and that is when I began to remember that I had been shot.

It seems as though somebody put me in a tank top and my wound was stitched and cleaned up. Then when I looked around the room, I also soon realized we weren't in the car or in a hotel room, we were on a boat.

Next I tried to quietly and slowly get up out of bed so that I didn't wake up Nolton but it was too late.

He started immediately opening his eyes and quickly sat up, rubbing his eyes as well.

"Are you okay? Are you in pain? What do you need baby?" He asks while practically  leaping out of bed and coming over to my side to help me.

"I'm okay. I mean, I am in a little pain but I'm alright. Why are we on a boat? Where are we going? Where's Marlie and everybody?" I began to nervously ask.

"It's alright. We are okay. So are Marlie and Brett. We're on Groman's yacht, first of all and are headed towards the Bahamas."

"Okay." I nod my head although it doesn't register in my head right away in what he says.

"Wait, we're headed towards the Bahamas? And why would we be on Groman's Yacht? Is this a set up? Did you steal it?" I continued to ramble on until he stopped me.

"No. Babe." He stops me real quick and smiles at me before taking in a deep breath and letting it out. "Why don't you get dressed and follow me outside, we'll explain everything."

"Why can't you tell me now?" I ask.

"Because it's better to have him explain it." He says.

By 'he' I am assuming that Nolton is talking about Groman.

I just roll my eyes and stand up and he helps me as we take a shower together and then helps me get dressed before we walk out onto the front of the boat.

Everybody seemed to have been waiting for me and I was surprised not only to see Groman but also, Uncle Rainey, several of Nolton's men along with Marlie and Brett.

There was a long buffet table set up with all kinds of breakfast assortments and after Marlie hugged me as did Brett and everybody else greeted me, we all grabbed a plate and after eating some breakfast, we all sat around and started to talk.

"How are you feeling?" Groman started off the conversation.

"Apparently I'll be fine." I replied. "But I'm surprised to see you here." I mention sternly.

"I know. So was everybody else at first, especially Nolton there, he nearly killed me before allowing me to explain what all has happened." He began.

"Well I'm listening." I tell him while sitting back in my chair sipping on the cup of coffee as I hear him begin to explain.

He started jumping right into explaining every detail and that the whole idea in how to get rid of Marlon for good, was to pretend to kill his Uncle. Then to use all of us, in particular, Nolton, as bait. To lure his stepson to meet him. That way he could take out both Marlon and his men and he couldn't tell us and let us in on the idea.

He continues on telling more details and how he had asked Nolton's men to gather the cars and prepare for us to run out so we could hurry onto his yacht here where he had planned to pay all of us a more than generous amount of cash to live with for the rest of our lives aling with some new identities and so forth.

After he had finished explaining everything, I was confused and yet mostly surprised and shocked that he would go through such lengths as far as using us all as bait and not even allowing us to be in on the plan in the first place. However, I guess it doesn't matter since we all seem to be doing okay.

Except, when I look over at Uncle Rainey and look at how big his patch over his wound was, I was still confused how we got stitched up.

"Wait, so who stitched and cleaned up our wounds?" I asked Groman.

"That was a personal doctor of mine. He goes with me everywhere. He happened to be waiting for us all on the boat already when we arrived. And because you were passed out from all the blood loss and pure shock from being shot at we knew we had to hurry. So here we are." He smiles.

Once he was finished telling me all of that stuff, I just sat back in silence for a moment and began thinking about all of this. Everything that has happened so far has been very overwhelming. I'm not sure I can process everything right now.

So I begin to excuse myself and start heading back towards the bedroom where I sit down on the edge of the bed.

Then Nolton comes and sits down beside me taking my hand into his.

"I can't believe any of this is happening right now at the moment. Between what all I just heard and your Uncle and your men being alive, it all sounds crazy. I mean, I wasn't even sure I was going to be alive.

I started feeling myself tear up a bit and he turns my head to face him.

"It's okay. Just rest and when you wake up we will figure this all out and we'll take it one day at a time." He smiles at me.

I smile back and he gives me a kiss then we both end up cuddling and taking a nap.

He's right, we'll just take things one day at a time.

Next chapter will be posted soon! :)