8 B

Ava stared moodily into space until the nurse return, scuttling round the edges of the room and checking the machines that were pumping the fluids into Ava's arm. Ava didn't move or acknowledge the nurse, but just as she turned to leave she said:
"Excuse me Miss Nurse. In sorry. I just want to know how I got here."
The nurse sighed.
"Well..... I suppose I could tell you....." Ava grinned and the nurse sat on the edge of her bed.
"Just promise not to attack me."
"Promise." Ava agreed readily, nodding her head wildly and siting up straighter to hear the Nurse.
"Well, once you passed out your father stormed out the flat and to the pub, or somewhere like that. They haven't found him yet. On his way out though he just left the door open, and when a neighbour walked past he saw you on the floor. Immediately, of course, he rang 999 but didn't go in, he was tok scared if your father returning. The ambulance arrived and he have his name and details before running off."

"Who was he?"

"He told the ambulance crew he was called Mr Beter, and he lived in Flat Number 17, two floors up. He gave a phone number but it seemed to have been unavailable."

Bile began to rise in Ava's throat. Beter was her mothers maiden name, and since she had died, in his more sober moments, her dad had called himself Mr Beter. And there was no flat 17.
"W-what did he look like?" She asked, trying not to let her voice shake.

"The team said he had short, brown hair and a bushy moustache, which apparently looked like a dead rodent on his top lip. He was unshaken and had stubble growing on his chin, and his green jumper was mid stained. He was wearing a pair of jeans but they were in tatters and had holes in the knees and were utterly filthy."

Ava shuddered. The description matched her father perfectly. But, after beating her up wu would her dad ring an ambulance for her? And, where was he know?

Please turn to a chapter entitled 'The End'