Chapter 9: PERSISTENCE

Audio titled: ENEMY ON A NARROW ROAD

Chapter
IX
Persistence
(Meets Resistance)

***

"Where am I taking you Xiao Xie?" Huo Xiu Xiu questioned from the front seat lightly while Ah Ning went on

"And then Xiao ge, even though Xiao Xie completely blew him off, actually whispered something in her ear!" Ah Ning squealed, leaving Wu Xie to want to vomit for the umpteenth time.

"Just take me back to our school—it's not a long walk..." Wu Xie mumbled as he stared out the window hoping it would shield his new green tint.

"We can drop you at your house..." YunCi said politely from next to Wu Xie—the two of them sitting comfortably in the back.

"What!" Huo Xiu Xiu's eyes grew twice their size from shock, "You blew him off! Xiao ge!"

Ah Ning was nodding fervently, "And he still seems interested."

Xiu Xiu continued to drive Ah Ning's father's car, "Wow, you lucky dog. I may flirt for fun, but that's a catch I wouldn't take lightly, Xiao Xie."

Wu Xie felt the bile rise in the back of his throat and grimaced, still staring out the window and realized that they were going a little too fast for his taste.

At this point, he welcomed death.

"So, Xiao Xie, where do you live? We'll drop you." Ah Ning had turned around to face Wu Xie who was glaring out the window.

"Just outside of the privet district," Wu Xie grumbled, still irritated about the weird guy.

Ah Ning, Xiu Xiu, and YunCai shared a quick glance that showed an obvious misinterpretation of the grumbling.

"Oh, don't be embarrassed Xiao Xie! We don't care!" Xiu Xiu chirped as she swerved dangerously around a slower moving car, and maneuver over a road sign, before placing them in a correct traffic patter—safely.

Ah Ning looked over at her with a pale face, "Now why did I let you drive?"

Xiu Xiu shrugged casually, "You were too preoccupied to do so." Ah Ning shook her head abashed, "Besides Xiao Xie, if we take you home, we can meet your family!"

Wu Xie immediately dropped his head against the window, wondering if he could claim brain damage, and reluctantly pointed in the right direction. Hoping for a miracle to happened.

***

"What did you do to that poor girl?" Hei Xia Zi inhaled deeply from his cigarette as he gave his friend a cocky smile but a look of disappointment was also showing.

Zhang Qi Ling glared lightly at Hei Xia Zi. He was waiting for him to finish so they could leave, "I didn't do anything."

"She had a look in between murder and vomiting. You did something. Then again, you just have that natural effect on people," Hei Xia Zi shrugged jokingly as he flicked the butt somewhere off into the parking lot.