c h a p t e r ▪︎ 7

Words weren't enough to describe my emotions, and I was in a situation where I couldn't react irrationally

Words weren't enough to describe my emotions, and I was in a situation where I couldn't react irrationally. I had to be professional and not let my personal conflicts ruin anything. My smile dropped for a moment, but I quickly revived it as I knew people nearby were waiting for drama.

Cut to Rick Fucking Walsh.

Of course, he didn't do this deliberately. I mean, look at that innocent face of his. Does it seem like he urged me to come to this party, knowing that I wouldn't, only to be the angel who reunited me with my father? Isn't that so sweet of this kind man?

Kind man, my foot.

I narrowed my eyes warily at Rick while he smirked slyly at me, raising his glass of wine. I bet he's enjoying this disastrous reunion the most. My instincts are screaming to run at him and give a good punch to that adam's apple.

And now cut to the person responsible for the earth-shaking twist into my life.

"Miss Willow Sterling. I have heard a lot about you," said the man who I was seeing after nine years, probably ten now. He was trying to reflect the so-called fatherly concerning face.

Think I'll pass that look.

"Same here, Mr. Turner. I've heard a lot about me lately." I replied with a casual shrug, but that made both him and Mr. Kevinson chuckle.

"You sure do have the sense of humor as Mr. Turner, Willow. Good, that's good."

"Of course, she does."

The sentence exchange between the two elderly men was light-hearted, but I knew what my poped-out-of-the-blue father meant. How can he have the courage to even show his not-needed-anymore affection? Because that play of his' ain't gonna work here on me. These games are too old school.

However, I forgot this one talent of mine. Once I get lost in my mental rant, I tend to space out; oblivious of my surroundings. Luckily, I was brought back to the 3D world by the sudden coughing of Mr. Kevinson. Although the coughing was not a way to alert me, it did anyway. The fact that I was indeed standing right in front of my father hits me like a thunderbolt. Just like getting a quick electric shock to pull you back to reality.

Shoot, Sterling! This is happening in the real world. This is the reality. Your long-lost selfish father is back.

As these things swirled around inside of my head, I wheeled my neck to glance and found Mr. Turner looking at me with oh-so-soft fatherly eyes. But the thing is, what the hell is he doing here? How in the name of Deadpool could he be the benefactor of this company, where I 'coincidently' happen to work? What is going on and why is the man that I can't stand a second ironically standing right in front of me!? What does he want now?

"You don't want to be like that squirt, Heather. Glaring people to death is her job, Wills. Not yours."

I had totally forgotten that Ben was standing right beside me this whole time. My focus was unwillingly on the sudden turn of events that my dear life had thrown at me so lovingly. It was only after he nudged me that I acknowledged his presence. Quickly blinking away the rage that was building up inside of me, I looked up at him.