<<<nine>>>

<<<Samantha>>>

Samantha watches as half of Mikey's mouth curves into a smile, his cheek pushing up into his eye and she realizes she loves the way half his face can smile at her. She feels warmth spread throughout her body at the happiness that seems to take over his features, filling her heart with pride that he wants her to be his. Her lip slides between her teeth before she looks down at her hands, feeling the happiest she's felt since the loss of her sister.

"It's already working," she laughs, amazed at the light feeling in her chest, like she might just float away.

"What do you mean?" he asks and she looks up at him, truly taking him in as the moon shines down on his pale skin, making him glow, almost angelically.

"My hurt," she whispers, his appearance stealing her breath. "All the pain I've felt the last nine months. It suddenly feels..." she trails off not sure of the word she means.

"Less heavy," he finishes for her and her eyes connect with his. "I feel it, too."

"Are you hurting, too?" she asks genuinely, placing her hand on his thigh.

His mouth opens to answer before he looks out at the waves and then back at her, struggling, "It's nothing."

"You don't want to tell me?" she asks disappointed, wondering if maybe they aren't in sync like she imagined.

"That's not it," he shakes his head and his hands move to his hat, lifting it slightly to readjust his hair underneath. He looks at her, her eyes boring into him and he sees the upset in her gorgeous green eyes. "It's just nothing compared to yours. It's stupid."

"That doesn't make it less important," she counters him.

"Kind of," he twists his mouth up, "You lost your sister. I've never lost anyone. My depression is nothing when measured up to your grief."

"It's still valid," she remarks. "Just because it's not the same doesn't mean I don't care."

"I didn't say you didn't care," he shakes his head at her, frustrated he keeps offending her before he huffs and puts his hands over his face.

He sighs deeply as he drags his hands down his face and then looks at her, defeated, before explaining, "Sam, I've been living in the dark. Literally. Staying up until dawn playing games, sleeping the whole day so I don't have to be with people. This is the most I've hung out with someone that wasn't forced in like six months. I don't know why, I'm just sad."

She contemplates his words, realizing they aren't too different after all, so she reveals, "Your life is out of your control."

"That's how it feels," he admits and drops his head in shame.

"It's okay to greive what you lost for your band," she says plainly, resting her hand on his thigh again as he furrows his brows and looks at her.

"How did you know I was in a band?"

"Stacy told me," she says as she drags her finger down his thigh to his knee, unknowingly giving him shivers, before she plays with the threads of the rip in his jeans, "after those girls starting screaming over you guys."

"Oh," he chuckles, smirking as he watches her finger.

"Why didnt you tell me?" she stops and looks at him, annoyed he kept that from her.

"I didn't really get a chance," he defends, "Also, I don't always want to be Michael: the guitarist for 5 seconds of summer. Sometimes I just want to be Michael."

He drops his knee and stares out into the waves before she says, "Lead guitarist."

"Googled me huh?" he says flatly, but a small curve lifts on the corner of his mouth.

"I was curious," she admits.

"Is that why you left?" he asks plainly, still looking out at the ocean.

"Yes," she confesses quietly, knowing it was wrong of her to make assumptions about him and grateful she is wrong. "But also no. It was getting too crowded, but I will be honest and say it freaked me out. I can tell you're different, but I was afraid you were going to use me like Ashton is using Stacy."

"Hey," he remarks as his brows pinch together and he finally looks at her, "That's not fair. I think Stacy is using him just as much as he's using her."

"I guess that is true," she nods her head before she concentrates on his face, taking in his features.

"Besides, that's not who Ash is, " he endorses, "He likes her, that's why he accepted her invite, he wants to know people. He would have been happy to come regardless of the interactions shared between them tonight. He'd be happy just to be in her company because that's who he is. Also, he mainly agreed for me."

"How so?" she lifts a brow, picturing Ashton being a wingman to get him laid.

"Smaller, more quiet party," he says as he watches her fingers pick at his pants.

"It was supposed to be small," she says annoyed before looking up at him. Her eyes consume his kind, patient face again, concluding this is the most beautiful person she's ever met. Inside and out. "I'm happy he brought you here."

"Me too," he half smiles, making her tummy flip and butterflies flutter up to her chest.

"I think we were supposed to meet tonight," she says breathily as a blissful warmth courses through her body and her eyes linger on his pink lips, wondering if they are as soft as they look.

"How so?" he asks quietly as he searches her face, thinking how gorgeous she is and just knowing her soul matches.

"I don't know," she declares as she shakes her head, "I just know. There's something special about you. I'm-," she pauses, biting her lip as she thinks about how to describe the pull she feels in her core. "I feel like I have to be with you."

"Like you're drawn to me?"

"Yes!" she smiles wide, her face lighting up and he moves his hand next to hers on his leg, playing with threads like her so their fingers randomly touch to send an overwhelm shock to each other. "You feel drawn to me, too?" she whispers, as she walks her fingers onto his hand and he turns it palm up.

"Yes," he answers breathily as her small gentle fingers trace over his palm, waves of warmth and exhilaration taking over his whole body.

She watches his eyes flutter as he stares at her fingers dancing in his hand, his lips parting in contentment. Her gaze fixates on those lips as she suddenly craves to feel them, to taste them. Out of her mind with this vast sense that he is specifically placed into her life right here and now, and absolutely out of her control, she leans forward into him.