1. Harmony Comes at a Price

Katara always cherishes the early mornings cuddled up with Aang in their cottage by the sea. Surrounded by grasslands and limestone peaks, it's the perfect place to practice their bending and remain unseen by the public eye; and lately, they've desperately needed the privacy.

Soft twilight peaks through the orange curtains bellowing in the breeze, framing french doors which remain open to fresh, coastal air.

A humid breeze pulls salty wind into the bedroom, reminding her of all those summers water-bending with the sea.

Aang's chest rises and falls so rhythmically, it nearly hypnotizes her. How can he sleep on his back like that and look so peaceful? So perfect?

Given everything that's happened, she's never been able rest the way he can. Usually, she ends up tracing a finger over his chest, memorizing
the warmth of his skin and the way the early morning light curves around his taut muscles.

She smiles and nuzzles closer to him, draping one arm over his chest and resting her head in the crook of his neck.

For a moment, nothing else matters. It's just the two of them.

Only them.

Here, in this beautiful summer cottage  perched high above the sea - a perfect way to spend their time before the inevitable wedding festivities begin.

Her eyes flutter closed. At least there's still time to sleep. The plush cotton sheets and feathered pillows lure her back to sleep. She falls into a dreamless daze, somewhere between rest and unconsciousness, listening to the distant beat of Aang's strong heart.

She's about to drift away, until a distant crack of thunder intrudes the delicate patter of rain.

Releasing a yawn, Aang instinctively pulls her closer, his hands twitching with a familiar urgency.

"Good morning," he whispers, still half asleep, in a voice octaves deeper than it was when they first met. "It's about time we get up." 

His heart beat quickens and  his fingers wrap around her arm. Katara lifts her head to look at him.

"No days off," she says, kissing his cheek. "Right?"

"That's right." He opens his storm-grey eyes, his sleepy smile taking her breath away. Tracing a thumb under her jaw, he pulls her in close. "Sokka's coming home today. Aren't you excited?"

Katara nods, butterflies in her stomach. "It's hard to think it's already been a year."

Pulling her chin to his, he kisses her deeply, the tip of his tongue teasing hers while his fingers trail from her neck to the small of her back.

His touch is gentle, caring, and precise; she loves it. She loves the way his nose brushes against hers and how his lips follow the curve of her mouth. He tastes of strawberries and wine, it drives her crazy.

Returning the same passion, her heart races and aches for him. He tenderly bites her lower lip, and she moans with delight.

But today is an important day, and if this continues... Forcing herself to pull away from him, Katara presses a hand to his chest.

"You're very tempting, Avatar Aang," she teases. "Kiss me like that, and I'll never be able to leave this bed."

He lifts an eyebrow, a smirk pulling on his mouth. "Guess you leave me no choice." He rolls on top of her, pinning her wrists above her head.

They spend the next half hour tangled up under the covers, kissing deeply, and talking about everything that matters in this new world of theirs.

It's always felt natural, like she was meant to find him in that ice burg all those years ago. Now they're grown and everything's changed. They'll be married in a month, and the thought of their new life together makes her feel warm and at ease.