Chapter 23: The Truth Finally Comes Out

!! banner art by ludidops !!

Secrets. We all have them.

Some big, some small, and some so terrible that even just thought of anyone finding out what you've been hiding, slowly kills you inside.

Most of the time, a secret's worth depends on who it must be kept from. But for me, my secret's worth depended on who I had to protect.

Craig.

Sneaking around with him not only meant that we both had to keep our mouths shut, but it was also our responsibilities to be smart with every step we took. One wrong move and we would be caught.

So you'd think that I would be smart enough to not let my guard down, and to not be so vulnerable. You'd think that I wouldn't be so fucking stupid.

But I was.

Unlike Craig, I managed to completely screw us over. And I knew that after what I had done to Cartman, it was only a matter of time before he would expose us.

But did I let Craig know about what was going on? Did I tell him about Cartman's plans?

Well the thing is, I have this theory. I think that all secrets and lies work together. No matter how hard you try to tell the truth, you can't because your secret's hands are tied around your throat, making you swallow back all of the words you want to say.

And the words that are said? They're lies.

I kept it a secret from him. I lied to Craig.

He drove me home in silence after school that day. He had the radio completely off just in case I wanted to tell him why I had decided to go nuts and start a fight with Cartman which only caused total anarchy amongst our friend groups. I knew that Craig wanted an answer for not only that, but he wanted to know what kind of punishment Mr. Mackey had given Cartman.

Just tell him.

"Craig," I began as I stared out the window, watching the trees and houses go by. "Look...what I did today at lunch...it was...well it was only b-because nobody was helping Butters...and he's always been so nice to me, and it just made me r-really upset and-..."

"What did Mr. Mackey have to say to Cartman?" Craig snapped as he breathed in hard through his nose. "How much trouble is he in?"

Just tell him.

"Uh...I uh..."

"How much trouble is he in Tweek?!"

Just tell him.

"He's not in trouble!" I spat out. "He uh...he was let off with a warning!"

No. No. No. No.

"A warning?" Craig asked as he pulled up in front of my house. "What kind of a warning?"

What am I doing? Don't lie!

"Mr. Mackey decided to give Cartman one m-more chance! He uh...he must've heard about his mom being in the hospital or something...so he went easy on him..."

Stop. Stop. Stop! Stop lying!

"Wait, so nothing's happening to Cartman?"

"Nope!"

Craig put the car in park and leaned back in his seat. He took off his hat and ran his fingers through his hair which had been damp from where he had been nervously sweating. He licked his lips, running his tongue across his cut.

"So, is he mad at us? Is he going to do anything to us?"

"No, he's n-not actually. I apologized and uh, since I helped him with his mom last night, he swore to keep his side of the deal."