Chapter 3: The New Mr. Tweak

!! banner art by ludidops !!

The day after the funeral, my mom woke me up at 5:30 in the morning so I could have at least an hour and a half to eat breakfast, get a shower, and get ready for work. That's right. Work. My mom was making me take my dad's place down at our coffee shop which meant that I now had a job. I tried insanely hard to talk my mom out of it, but considering what she had just been through in those last couple of days, I found myself caving to her.

Maybe this will make her feel better. Hopefully it does because I'm already sick of seeing her like this.

My mom walked into my room and sat down next to me on the edge of my bed. In her lap was my dad's uniform. It was folded neatly with his name tag on top.

Mr. Tweak

"Tweek, honey, I got you a uniform."

I took a deep breath in and closed my eyes.

"Mom, that's dad's uniform. I...I can't. No."

"I think he would've wanted you to wear it. Besides, he's always looked forward to you finally getting to work with us."

Well I don't wanna do any of that.

"I can't mom."

She sighed and put her hand over top of mine.

"I know that this is going to be hard. Trust me I wish we weren't sitting here having this conversation right now, but I need your help around the store Tweek. I need you."

I pulled my hand away from hers.

"I just don't understand why we have to open back up so soon. He was j-just buried yesterday," I scoffed.

I didn't mean for it to sound so rude, but unfortunately it did. I looked over at her to see she was already blinking back tears.

No no no.

"Sweetie, we've been closed since Tuesday. It's Sunday. We need to get back to business. It's what your father would've wanted."

But what about what you want? What about me?

My heart hurt at the thought of her crying again, so to make her happy, I nodded my head yes, giving into her once more.

"Okay."

She smiled softly as she set the uniform down beside me. She slowly stood up and then kissed me on the forehead.

"Go get a shower to wake yourself up and get dressed. I'll get started on breakfast."

"Okay."

Once she was out of my room, I pulled out my phone and immediately went to text Craig. I could now say that I was the first out of the two of us to make our own money.

me: Hey man, I know it's really early and I know for a fact that you're still asleep, but guess who just got a job?

I pressed send as I walked out of my room and then headed towards the bathroom. I looked back at my dad's uniform on my bed.

God I really don't wanna do this.
——————————————————————————
When I walked down to the kitchen, I could automatically tell what my mom was making just by the smell that lingered in the air.

Pancakes and Bacon. My favorite.

As I was walking past the fridge something caught my eye. Something bright and colorful.

Tricia and Craig's card.

It was being held up by small magnets in the center of the fridge. It sent a feeling of warmth all the way up my body. I couldn't help but smile. I looked over to see my mom staring at me. She set her spatula down and put a hand over her mouth. Her lips curled into a big smile as tears began to fill her eyes.