vi. this is a fire in a barrel

Harlow watched as Dean was shoved against the fence. "You gotta earn every inch." Russ' brother said. They all skated around the basketball court on their roller skates. Russ, his brother, and their friends were pretty rough. Harlow watched as Dean was shoved against the fence once again. "Hey, ain't no whistles out here either. You keep diggin until you score that goal!" Russ was the first one to score. Luis got the puck and scored but ran into the fence. Fulton then got the puck and shot it at the trash can but it bounced off and hit a man's car.

"Eh, no sweat it happens all the time." Russ' brother said. "Excuse me. Throw it back, please." Charlie yelled out. "Here, kid. Alley oop." The man said, throwing the puck back over the fence. "Was that Snoop Dogg?" Harlow asked. Charlie went after the puck and shot it in. Russ took the puck and propped it up on its side before sending it flying through the air and into the can. Everyone stared at each other in shock. That was so cool. Fulton and Harlow skated over to Russ. "What the heck kinda shot was that?" Fulton asked.

"Ah, you like that, huh?" "Yeah." Fulton responded. "That's my knucklepuck. It's hard to be accurate but it drives goalies crazy." Russ explained. Harlow smiled. "I like you." She said. "Well, thank you." Russ said. Dean skated up behind them. "Sorry dude, but she's ours." He said, wrapping his arm around her shoulders while Fulton's went to around her waist. Kenny got the puck and shot it in. "Aw, you done messed up now! Come here, I'm gonna get you!" Russ' brother said, rushing towards him.

"Come here. Come here! Come here, junior! Come here! No. I'm just messin with you, okay. Listen. When a guy comes at you like I just did, you do this, stick, gloves, and shirt." He said, throwing his stick and gloves to the ground before going to pull Kenny's shirt above his head. "Okay?" "Yeah, okay. My turn." Kenny said before doing the same thing. "Alright?" "Alright."

                                                                                        ***

"Alright, you guys, go get em! Alright! Come on, go get em! You guys do it, okay? Alright! Play hard!" Russ, his brother and his friends shouted out as they got on the bus to go back to the dorms.

                                                                                        ***

Everyone was arguing over one another on the bench. "Hey, team! Hey, team. We're gonna be great today, right? Where's Gordon?" Mr Tibbles said from above them. "You tell us." Luis said to him. "I don't believe this." A ref skated up to them. "Team USA I'm sorry but without a coach behind the bench, you'll forfeit the game." He informed them. "But you can't do that." Banks said. "We have one." Charlie said. "Ms McKay!" He yelled out before skating over.

"Yeah." Everyone encouraged her when she looked a little apprehensive. "Come on, coach McKay." "What are you waitin for, the ice to freeze? Let's play!" She shouted out.  "Let's go." The ref said. Everyone cheered.

It was only a few seconds into the game when Germany tried to score, but thankfully, Goldberg caught it. "Change it up!" Ms McKay yelled out and the ones on the ice skated towards the bench. Harlow was on the bench with Dean when they all heard a duck whistle. They all looked up in the crowd and saw coach Bombay. He blew the duck whistle again. Julie looked back at Harlow and Dean but they just shook their heads.

Coach Bombay ran down to the bench and blew the duck whistle again. "Come on in! Let's go. Come on." He said to the ones on the ice. They skated over and huddled in. "Team. Guys. I was wrong. And I'm sorry. I forgot about the team. And the team is all I have. All I want is another chance. Just one more shot. I'm back. Okay? Believe me."

                                                                                                ***

The third period started and team USA had a new fire to them. "Flying V!" Jesse yelled out and the rest on the ice joined him behind the net. Everyone cheered when Averman scored. They had won! Harlow kissed Dean on the bench before rushing onto the ice to kiss Fulton. It's about time people knew about their relationship. 

                                                                                               ***

"I've had a lot of big distractions since I've been here in LA." Coach Bombay said, bringing out a cardboard cutout of himself. "This is a distraction." Everyone laughed. He lit a match and threw it in a barrel. "This is a fire in a barrel." Jan handed him the cardboard cutout. He folded it in half and put it in the barrel. "This is a distraction in a fire in a barrel. Any questions?" "Good job, coach." Dean said and they all started clapping as the cardboard cutout burned.

                                                                                             ***

The team had been doing a lot of different training and exercises. Coach Bombay had them crawl on the ice like babies, which Harlow found stupid. They were doing more conditioning, more workouts, including running on the treadmills. They continuously shot pucks at Goldberg, hoping he would block them.

After they had done a shooting drill, practice was over. They all changed into their normal clothes before leaving. "Hey, Banks, let's go!" Dean shouted out to Banks who was in the bathroom. "Comin. I'll be right there." He responded. Dean ran to catch up with Harlow and Fulton. He wrapped his arm around Harlow's shoulders and Fulton grabbed onto her hand, intertwining their fingers.

"Now, how about we go back to our room, and have some fun." Dean suggested. Fulton and Harlow smirked. "That sounds absolutely perfect." Harlow said. Fulton leaned in and kissed her cheek before they walked back to the dorms.

                                                                                            ***

"That's the way." Coach Bombay shouted as they did some defense drills. Banks ended up having to be benched. His wrist was really bad and he had to be in a sling.  They did shooting drills and practiced passing the puck back and forth, and keeping it away from other players. And they ended up winning against Canada.