v. it was hans who taught us to fly

The Ducks all skated in a circle wearing their old jerseys. Harlow skated over to Scooter, the Varsity team goalie after Julie skated away from him. "What are your intentions with my sister?" She asked. "Uh..." "I'm watching you." Harlow said, skating away to the bench. Charlie took the first face off against Rick and was immediately pushed down. Connie and Guy skated in front of the guy who had the puck but he pushed them both down. Goldberg fell and the Varsity team got a goal. Charlie went behind the net and called out for the Flying V. The players on the ice joined him but most of them were knocked down.

Varsity got another goal. "Come on, defense. Let's go." Julie said from next to Harlow. "Hey!" Harlow called out as Fulton was knocked down. "Pick it up, boys! And Connie!" She called out as they kept getting pushed down. "Try the triple deke." Julie said to Charlie as he came towards the bench. Harlow jumped over the boards onto the ice. Charlie did the triple deke but Scooter blocked it. Goldberg was pushed out of the net and Rick shot the puck in. "This is a mess." Harlow said to Fulton as Connie tried to hit Rick.

Charlie and Banks fought over the puck and Charlie grabbed him and they both fell into the net with Scooter. Everyone jumped off the bench. Julie and Harlow both went after the same guy. They stopped when the lights turned on and a whistle was blown. "Freeze!" Coach Orion shouted out. "Hey! Hey! Break it up! Break it up now! Hey!" He said, pushing the Varsity players away. "It's a damn good thing I'm not your coach. Now, get your team our of here now!" He yelled at Rick.

"Varsity team, out! Let's go! Outta here! Let's go! You, out!" The Varsity team skated out. "Well, congratulations. You just forfeited whatever mental edge you might have had over the varsity. Now they know they own you. This isn't the peewees. Your little Duck tricks are not gonna work at this level. Now, for the last time, stay away from the Varsity. And get those Duck jerseys off now. Let's go. Now. Come on, let's go. Take them off!" Everyone besides Charlie and Fulton moved to take off their jerseys.

"The Ducks are dead. You got two choices, Conway. Take off the jersey right now or you don't play." "You're breaking up the best thing any of us ever had." Charlie said. "Well, it's time to grow up." "Grow up? Like you, huh? A washed up pro who has to show off to a bunch of kids. Geez, that's real grown up." "Okay, goodbye, Conway. Anybody else?" Charlie skated off and Fulton started going after him. "Fulton!" Harlow yelled out and he turned around. "You walk out, and we're over." Fulton hesitated for a bit before following after Charlie.

Harlow's heart dropped to her stomach. "Alright. Goodbye, Fulton." It was at that moment that she realized how she felt. She loved him. Julie placed a hand on her sister's arm. "No one's forcing any of you to be here. It's your lives. You decide what to make of them." Harlow looked over to Fulton's retreating figure with a frown on her face. "Alright. Twenty laps, then hit the showers."

                                                                                               ***

They had lost their game that night. Four to two. Charlie and Fulton didn't show up to school the next day. Harlow was on her bed doing her homework when their was a knock on the door. Julie went to answer it. "I'll give you two some space." Julie said and left the room. Harlow looked up as the door closed. It was Fulton. "What are you doing here?" She asked, setting her books to the side. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have walked out. Especially not like that. And I want you back, if that's what you want."

Harlow uncrossed her arms. "No, I'm sorry." She said. "For not saying this sooner. And just know it's really hard for me, and that I've only ever said this to Julie, but... I love you." She said. "You don't have to say that." Fulton said. "But it's true. I love you. I'm in love with you. And I wanna be with you." She said. Fulton came closer. He placed his hands on her hips. "Is this okay?" He asked. Harlow nodded and placed her lips on his. It was the first time that it felt like their relationship was driven by love, and not lust.

Harlow pulled away and Fulton leaned in and kissed her once more. "I love you." "I love you." "What about Dean?" Fulton asked. Harlow sighed and sat on her bed. "I don't know. He left us. He obviously doesn't want us anymore." She said. "Don't say that. Please don't say that. It's not true." Fulton said. Harlow shrugged. "He would be here if it was."

                                                                                                  ***

"Our Father, who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy name." All the Ducks read out at Jan's brother Hans' funeral. The newer Ducks hadn't met him but they could tell how much he meant to the older Ducks. "Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For Thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory, forever and ever, amen." Harlow grabbed onto Fulton's hand and he squeezed it.

"Excuse me, one second." Bombay said. Harlow didn't even notice he was there. He unfolded a green Ducks jersey that said 'Hans 11' on it. He placed it on the casket. "Every time you touch the ice, remember it was Hans who taught us to fly." Bombay looked over to Charlie but he just walked off. Julie placed the flowers on the casket and then Bombay gave each of the Ducks a hug.

                                                                                                 ***

"Hey, nice move!" Goldberg shouted out as they played hockey at an abandoned parking lot. Banks had rejoined the team, and now they were just waiting on Charlie to show up. "Hey, on your left. That doesn't count. That was below the belt." Goldberg said as Fulton sent the puck into the trash can. "Hey, it's coach Bombay!" Dwayne yelled out. "Damn, Conway, what took you so long?" Russ asked. "Come on!" Averman shouted out to them.

"Get in the game!" "Yeah, come on, Coach!" "Come on, guys let's go!" Charlie and Bombay joined them and they started a scrimmage. At the end, they all picked up Bombay and placed him in the trash can, and then they put Charlie in it. Then, Charlie picked up the trash can and put it over Goldberg's head.