vi. they stay or i go

Harlow followed Julie onto the bus and sat next to her. Charlie got on the bus after everyone else had gotten on. "Conway?" Coach Orion questioned. "I want to be on the team, Coach. I want to play two way hockey. Can I come back?" Charlie asked. "Take a seat. We're running late." Coach Orion told him. "Let's go. We got a game to catch." "It's about time, Conway." Russ said as everyone cheered. "Crank her up, Mr bus man!" Russ yelled out. "Oh, man, you should have seen your face. Oh, Coach, I want to play two way hockey. Can I come back?" Russ mocked Charlie but was elbowed.

The two started hitting each other and then Dean Buckley got on the bus. "I almost missed you. Coach, you mind if I have a few words with your boys?" He said. "And girls." Julie corrected from the seat next to her twin. "Yes, of course. And girls." "If you can make it quick, Dean. We're running late as it is." "I'm afraid this is important. We have a board meeting scheduled tomorrow, and well, you all are on the agenda. We have to think long term here. What's in your best interest. Hard as it is for me personally, because you kids have been a breath of fresh air around here, the board is going to approve the withdrawal of your scholarships." The Dean told them.

"Now, you'll be welcome to stay through the end of the semester, but after that, it will be necessary for you to enjoy other educational opportunities." "Dean, I need a word with you." Coach Orion said. "I think I've said all I need to say." "No, now." Coach Orion said and the two of them stepped off the bus. "Other educational opportunities?" Dwayne questioned. "What's he saying, Russ?" "I'll put it in terms you can understand. Adios, amigo." Russ said. "Oh, I see."

They all rushed to the front of the bus. They watched as coach Orion argued with Dean Buckley. "They stay or I go." Coach Orion said. "We'll miss you, Ted." The Dean said and walked off. They all got off the bus. "We're just pawns, puppets for the stage show, jesters to entertain the king, barnacles on the bottom of-" Averman ranted but Harlow interrupted him. "Averman, shut the fuck up!" Coach Orion didn't even bother to tell her to watch her language. "Coach, is this legal?" Goldberg asked. "I mean, don't we have contracts or something?" "I don't know what it is. All I know is we're gonna fight it."

                                                                                                ***

"Do I have a motion for reconsideration?" The Dean asked in the board meeting the next day. No one said anything. "I'm sorry, Coach, but unless there is a motion from a board member and a second, the decision must stand." "You leave us no choice but to bring in our attorney." Coach Orion said. The door opened and in walked Bombay. "Dean Buckley, members of the board. As counsel for coach Orion, and the freshmen hockey team, I'm here today to set forth your legal options, so that you may make the best possible decision for all parties concerned." Bombay said, walking to the podium.

"Mr Bombay, this isn't a legal proceeding." "Not yet, but I can assure you that it will be." There was a moment of silence. "Do you mind?" Bombay asked, handing Dean Buckley his briefcase. He pulled a folder out of it. "These scholarships, an offer, became a binding contract upon the signatures of the recipients, and acceptance by the Ducks. They cannot be voided except for cause which, I guarantee you, you have none. Should you decide to pursue their cancellation, I will slap you with an injunction. I will tie this matter up in court for years, until long after these kids have gone on to college. And I will collect damages. I will win." There was another moment of silence.

"Because I am very, very good. You know why I'm so good? Because I had a good education. You gave it to me. And you're gonna give it to these kids." Bombay ranted. "Now some of you may be snobbish enough to believe that these Ducks don't belong at Eden Hall. Let me tell you, you are dead wrong. These are remarkable young people. You give them their full shot, and I promise you they will succeed, not only on the ice, but in the classrooms as well. These people are my friends, and I know what they can do. Accordingly, I demand that you reinstate their scholarships, for their benefit, and for your own."

Bombay shook coach Orion's hand. "I move that the scholarships be reinstated." A woman at the table said. "Is there a second?" Dean Buckley asked. The man next to her raised his hand. "All in favor?" They all raised their hands. "Scholarships reinstated." The Ducks cheered. Bombay hugged coach Orion and then hugged Charlie. They all walked out of the board room and saw Charlie talking to a girl. "Ooh." Harlow said but quieted down once the Varsity team approached them.

"Congratulations, in destroying our school." Rick said. "Hey, look, it's our school too." Charlie said. "It's everyone's school, you stupid jock." The girl next to Charlie said. "No, it'll never be your school. Don't you get it? You're our own little affirmative action, brought in for color to entertain us. But you couldn't even do that. Your fancy lawyer kept you in on a technicality, but you'll never belong." "You'll never be anything more than a bunch of rejects here on a free ride" Cole told them.

"Free ride? Look at you, rich boy! Mummy and daddy gave you everything, huh?" Russ yelled. "Hey, JV Varsity game's on Friday. Then we'll show the whole school what a joke you really are. Then maybe you'll leave on your own." Rick went to touch Charlie's tie but Charlie slapped his hand away. "It'd be, the only honorable thing to do." "You know we're gonna hurt you." Cole said. Charlie scoffed. "Listen, you guys had an unfair advantage last time. You had one of us, Banksie."

"Oh, well, keep him. He never had the heart of a Warrior anyway." Rick said. "Hey, Biff, one more thing. After we beat you, the Warriors die and the Ducks fly." Russ said. "Hey, anything you say, loser." The Varsity team walked away. "Good move, Russ. Make em even madder." Averman said. "Charlie, we gotta do something, man." Averman said. "Yeah, you're right. We've gotta get to work."