vii. i'm putting you in timeout

Charlie had recruited Russ to fill Banks' spot for their game against Russia. They were currently winning two to one. Harlow sent Russ the puck and he set up for his knucklepuck. He sent in through the air right into the corner of the net.

After the game, they were in the locker room when coach Bombay spoke to them. "I told him no visitors, but he wanted to congratulate you anyway." He said and then Wayne Gretzky entered the room. He came over to the kids and they all shook his hand. "Guys, this is the great one." Charlie said. "Wayne's fine." Everyone laughed. "Say hockey!" The photographer said as they took a picture.

***

"Coach, shouldn't we have our hockey gear on?" Luis asked as they skated onto the ice in their normal clothes

"Coach, shouldn't we have our hockey gear on?" Luis asked as they skated onto the ice in their normal clothes. "Guys, this is our last team practice, which means-" Averman cut him off. "The return of Captain Blood." "No." Coach Bombay said, laughing along with them. "It means... Let's have some fun." He said, bringing out a beach ball. He launched it into the air and all the kids skated after it.

They all looked at the boards when Mr Tibbles went over them and into the bench. They all shrugged and turned back to the beach ball. Averman hit it but it landed right in front of the Iceland team. Coach Stansson picked it up and squeezed all the air out of it. They skated towards team USA. "Playtime is over. We have the ice now. You and your little rink rats must leave." Stansson said. "We're right here, coach." Dean called out.

"The only thing little was your career in the pros." Coach Bombay said. Team USA laughed. "Gordon, no. Let's go." Ms McKay said. "Well, at least I had a shot. I was there." "You were a disgrace." They stared at each other for a minute. "Alright, team. We're outta here. Let's go, I said Come on!" Coach Bombay said to his team. "Can you still move on the ice? Well, please, play a little with me. Show me that famous triple deke that your daddy taught you. Or was it that old geezer over there?" He said, talking about Jan.

"You know what-" Harlow started off but was cut off by Dean. "No!" "But-" "That's it. I'm putting you in timeout. Go sit on the bench." He said. "What-" "Go!" Dean yelled, pointing towards the bench. Harlow pouted but skated over to the bench and sat down. The Iceland trainer gave Stansson a stick which he passed to Bombay. "Three bar. First one to hit both posts and the crossbar. Have to take it out past the blue line." Coach Bombay said. "I know the game."

Coach Bombay and Stansson faced off against each other. Stansson kept checking Bombay and then he got a goal. Coach Bombay got one soon after before getting checked again. He then got a second goal. They started skating down the ice when Stansson hit coach Bombay in his injured knee. Harlow jumped off the bench and skated over with everyone else. Ms McKay and Charlie helped him up. "Get your coach off the ice. We have to practice now." Fulton, Dean, and Harlow went to go after him but everyone else pushed them back.

***

It was the day of the finals and they had been relocated to a brand new rink. They were all in the locker room getting ready when Banks came in. "I woke up and the pain was gone." He said, rotating his hockey stick with his bad wrist. Everyone cheered. "Adam, I'm sorry, we already have a full roster." Coach Bombay said and the mood in the room instantly deepened.

Russ went to take off his jersey but Charlie stopped him. "He can have my spot." He said and everyone turned to look at him. Charlie sighed. "It's what I can do for the team. Let me do it." Adam placed his hand on Charlie's shoulder. "Charlie, I need you on the bench, coaching right there with me." Coach Bombay said, handing Charlie a clipboard.

***

The doors opened and team USA stepped onto the ice. The entire stadium cheered. They skated over to the bench. "Heads high! Stand tall! Fly straight! USA!" Coach Bombay shouted out. "All the way!" The players continued. "Woo! Woo!" Averman took the first face off and was immediately knocked down. The puck went behind the USA net and Goldberg dug it out. Harlow went after it but was checked into the boards by Gunnar Stahl. You could hear Dean and Fulton cursing over on the bench.

Iceland shot the puck at the net but Goldberg saved it. He was then tripped and Iceland got a goal. "Line change!" Coach Bombay yelled out. Harlow skated over to the bench and drank some water. "You good?" Julie asked, rubbing her sister's shoulders from where she got checked. "Yeah. I'm great." She said. She was angry. Russ went to do his knucklepuck but it got swept out from in front of him.

Fulton threw an Iceland player over his shoulder, but it was no use. They scored again. "We can't make it. Iceland's bigger, stronger, faster. They have more facial hair." Averman said from beside Julie. Harlow took her water bottle and squirted some at him. "Averman, shut the fuck up!" She yelled. Banks went on and an Iceland player hit his wrist. "Sit down. Sit down." Coach Bombay said to the players on the bench.

"Hey, ref, why don't you call something for crying out loud? He almost took his arm off." Coach Bombay yelled out. Banks skated back to the bench and Harlow went on the ice. Connie got the puck and sent it back to Harlow who sent it to Dwayne. Dwayne went to send the puck to Dean but he was knocked down. An Iceland player got the puck and Luis chased after him. Luis hit him but couldn't stop and sent them both, and the puck, into the net.