Chapter 4

Nick stood in front of the meat counter on Friday afternoon. One week until school began, but he quit classroom prep early to shop for his dinner with Lindsay. He didn't know whether she was a vegan or a meat eater.

Stepping aside, he used his phone to look up her parents' number. She answered. "Hello? Steward residence."

"Hello, Miss Miller. Are you home alone?"

She giggled. The sound made him smile and turned him on. "Worried I won't show?"

"That never occurred to me, sugar. I worried you were a vegan or allergic to strawberries."

"I have an aversion to mushrooms and green peppers. Oh, and anything spicy. Like extra spicy, a little spicy is okay."

He held back his laughter. "No meat issues?"

"I'm not a vegan, I like meat."

He ignored the chance to make an innuendo about liking his meat. "Awesome, I'll see you in a few hours."

"That's it?"

"For now. Be at my place around seven?"

"Is seven thirty okay?"

"Sure." More time for him to prepare. "I'll see you then sugar."

Tonight was a turning point in their relationship. She seemed more relaxed after kissing him. He struggled to read her sometimes. She confessed to a sexual fantasy about spanking, so maybe she wasn't sure what she wanted. Her ex's ideals seemed to dominate her behavior. She hid passion under the surface, perhaps he could coax it from her. With a good spanking.

Nick thought of her laying over his lap while he made her squeal and moan. A groan nearly escaped him in the middle of the supermarket. He knew the women in town liked him, but he wasn't eager to give them any fodder for their fantasies. Besides Lindsay's mom worked here.

She'd told him she wasn't interested in a relationship, friendship only. He also knew he'd come every night thinking of her splayed on his lap while he slapped her ass, fingering her sopping cunt. And she'd kissed him last time they were together. His heart and cock hoped for making out. Or more.

He wouldn't push Lindsay tonight. He wouldn't even try to touch her. If she touched him, if she showed interest, he was there. He would be more than willing to help her acknowledge her sexual side.

He turned back to the meat with a smile.

Four hours later, Nick was setting the table when the doorbell rang. He turned down the stove burner and hurried down the stairs. Lindsay smiled a thousand-watt smile. After a few seconds, her smile started to falter and he realized she held out a container.

He took it from her being careful to brush his fingers against hers. "What's this?

"I brought dessert."

He pulled the lid back. Fresh picked strawberries. "Where did you get these?"

"From my mom's garden. She insisted I bring them."

"What did you tell them?"

"Yes. I told my mom you offered your perspective on divorce and listen to me complain. My mom does her best, but her marriage is happy. Other than me, her life is happy."

"She's lucky. Come in. I need to go stir the food on the stove. Would you like a glass of wine?"

"No thank-you." She followed him into the kitchen. The space was large enough for two, but everywhere he turned she was so close he could taste the citrus on her skin.