18

"Doctor, when will she regain consciousness?" Blake asks anxiously watching Iliana lying so still and white on the hospital bed.

The doctor stops his looking over his patient and looks at the other patient of the hospital and the one that possibly made it so that Iliana might survive. He hates to give the news that he has for the devoted man, but he doesn't believe in sugar coating bad news.

"It is very possible that Miss Bloomington might not regain consciousness. How she survived to have the bullets removed and some of the internal damage fixed is nothing short of a miracle. I'm sorry, I wish I could give you better news. I know that you are close to Miss Bloomington and are considered her next of kin." The doctor isn't expecting the words he hears in return.

"Iliana survived impossible odds before. She's suffered and lived more than anyone else I've ever met."

"Yes, I've read her medical records. How she survived the deadly poison is a miracle. That she made a full recovery is another." The doctor shakes his head as he checks the wounds. She has lost so much blood even before she got to the hospital he has no idea how she made it through the surgeries.

"Even before that. Her mother wasn't supposed to be able to have a child. Iliana was a miracle from her conception and birth. If she doesn't die from infection she'll live."

The doctor looks back up to the wounded man. "I see no sign of infection at this time and her wounds seem to be healing very nicely, perhaps even better than we could have anticipated. Yet, that doesn't mean that she'll awaken. With the amount of blood loss she sustained, there is every possibility that she'll have mental and physical problems if she does survive.

"I and our team of medical personnel are doing all that we can to make sure that she heals as fully and completely, mentally and physically. I just want you to know the possibilities, just in case the worse case scenario comes about."

"I appreciate your words and concerns. I am sure that you and those caring for her are doing their best. As long as that continues I'm sure that Ili will wake up and give me and my brothers hell until she can go home." Blake is rather looking forward to her doing so. He already feels more than a little guilty that she's going through this.

At least this won't ever happen again. At least not in this lifetime. Those damn hunters. They are the true evil in the world. Killing people just because they are different. Just because they feel inferior. Just because they are taught to hate at a very young age. Those that would teach them such hate are now dead. He saw to that. 

All those that killed Iliana's parents, killed his parents, that betrayed him and his family are now dead. He can't help the small pleased smile that comes onto his face at the thought.

The doctor finishes checking Iliana and asks if Blake has any further questions then when Blake shakes his head he excuses himself from the room.

Blake takes Iliana's cold hand and holds it gently.

"You heard the good doctor, Iliana. He doesn't believe that you'll wake up. You need to come back to me. You need to come back to the others. We're all alive, we all made it. The others, some of them are hurt badly, but none as bad as you. It will help them heal if they hear that you are awake.

"Come back to me, Iliana. We have so much more to do together. So many more people to prove wrong. So many people to show that you are a queen.

"Come back, Iliana. Come back." Blake begs her even as he sends out some healing energy. He doesn't have much extra since his body is using a great deal of energy to heal itself. But Iliana needs it far more than he does.

There is a knock at the door and Blake turns to look at the door. At the sight of the police officer he makes sure that he doesn't show any thing on his face other than some pain. "Yes, officers, what can I do for you? If you are here to talk to Iliana, I'm afraid she hasn't awakened yet and according to her doctor there is some doubt as to her doing so."

"Yes, we are aware, we talked to the doctor before coming in. We are very sorry for what happened to you, your brothers and Miss Bloomington.

"We are actually here to talk to you about what the hell happened to all eleven of you." The older of the officers tells him and takes out his phone.

Blake gives a bitter laugh. "To know about what happened to us you would need to talk to those bastards that damn near killed Iliana. All I can tell you about is what I know."

The officer nods and gives an embarrassed noise like clearing of his throat. "Forgive me, sir. That's what I meant to say. Would you be willing to give your statement at this time?"

"Are you two the only ones taking our statements?" Blake says instead of answering their question.

"Yes, sir. Others are looking into the dead men and finding out what the fuck happened to them." The other officer replies and earns a small smile from Blake and a censorious look from his partner for his words.

"What do you mean?" Blake asks innocently, with a tired air. A tiredness he doesn't need to feign. He's never been this low on energy before. He'll need to eat both solid and blood soon.

"Those responsible for Miss Bloomington's injuries and the bullets that hit you both and your brothers, they are all dead with out a mark on them. We have no idea why or how that happened. Do you?" The officer asks suddenly.

"I'm sorry, officer. I was rather preoccupied trying to save Iliana's life and hoping my brothers and I didn't die before help could come. We knew that help was on the way, we just weren't sure how long until they'd get there."

"Woah, why don't you go back and start from the beginning, explain all that you know about how Miss Bloomington ended up nearly beaten to death and go from there." The officer asks politely but Blake hears the command in the soft words. It makes him bristle a bit.

It's been a long time since any one has dared to talk to him like that. Since his parents died, he thinks. That's been over five years.

"Very well, I don't wish to bother Iliana though, so if you would go to my room with me? Also, I don't want her left alone, I'll be sending one of my brothers in to stay with her." The officers are more than a little thankful that Blake Hamilton is being so cooperative and asking for so little for that cooperation.

They had feared that they wouldn't be able to question any of them.